TikTok Bringing Back Reading?

Victoria Betancourt

Books seen around ILS recently.

Victoria Betancourt, Editor

In prior years you’d always see ILS students on electronics scrolling mindlessly on social media, but if you look around now a majority of students are reading hard copy books or even e-books. The reason for this new trend? TikTok.

TikTok is known for having a community for everyone. Some of their most popular ones currently include Dracotok, Swifttok, Frogtok, and more. However, their Booktok community has suddenly had an increase in both views and popularity.

This community is for book lovers alike to come together, review, and bond over books along with giving book recommendations. This is the reason for the clear resurgence in reading not only throughout ILS, but also with Generation Z as a whole. 

This has led to increased book sales which is keeping small bookshops open along with encouraging more authors and publishers to make more novels. 

Current trending books include The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo, The Song of Achilles, Circe, and even some well known YA (Young Adult) and children’s literature such as Twilight, Harry Potter, and Percy Jackson. 

“I love stories where they take original stories and put a whole new perspective on it like Maleficent and Joker,” said senior Melanie Scheel.

Thanks to rising popularity, some books are being even adapted into movies and TV shows. One that truly gained traction is Shadow and Bone, a trilogy turned Netflix original series. Season 1 was such a hit with viewers that it’s gotten renewed for a second season which is currently in the works. 

“TikTok is the king/queen of making trends that last for a week or two, and then generating a new one for its algorithm,” said senior Gabriela Danger.