The Summer I Turned Pretty is Hitting the Big Screen

Emma Rodriguez, Writer

Author of To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before, Jenny Han’s first young adult romance trilogy is finally being adapted for TV. The series that originally came out in 2009, follows Isabel, nicknamed Belly, who has grown up being friends with Conrad and Jeremiah Fisher. Belly and her family have spent every summer for the past 15 years at the Fisher’s beach house in Cousins Beach. She has always been in love with Conrad and has always been pals with Jeremiah, but this year she is about to turn 16, and both boys begin to look at her differently.

“Oh my gosh, I have such butterflies about it because my readers have been waiting for so long,” Han, who also serves as showrunner/executive producer, tells EW. “I just really want them to feel satisfied by the long wait and feel like the story has come to life in the way that they were hoping for. I hope fans swoon a lot. The first time I walked on set, I cried.”

The Summer I Turned Pretty stars Lola Tung as Isabel “Belly” Conklin, a high school girl caught in the middle of two boys she’s spent every summer with — Jeremiah (Gavin Casalegno) and his older brother Conrad (Chris Briney). 

“It’s all the thrill and excitement of first love and what it’s like to really love someone from afar your whole life and then suddenly be interacting with them in a new way,” Han explained. “We’ll see the night swims and big crushes and all those sort of big, epic love moments this season. I did try to drop in a lot of Easter eggs throughout the series for the fans of the books.”

Han teases that new characters will be introduced on the series to “expand Belly’s world,” which is something she was able to do only because she had more room by making the adaptation a TV show rather than a movie trilogy like she did with To All the Boys on Netflix. The first season is seven episodes and covers the entire first book, and she hopes to make two more seasons to bring the next two books — It’s Not Summer Without You and We’ll Always Have Summer — to life as well.

As all teenage girls and women alike who swoon for romance have seen the three-movie installment of To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before and have read the original series, her fans have every reason to believe that Jenny Han and others working on this series with Amazon will bring her characters to life on the big screen.

You can now watch the first season of The Summer I Turned Pretty on Amazon Prime.

PREVIEW: https://ew.com/tv/the-summer-i-turned-pretty-jenny-han-first-look-prime-video/