The Purple Hearts: More than a Club

Marcella Orlandini, Writer

A veteran is a person who has served their country in the armed forces honorably,  and retired from the US Army, Navy, Air Force, or Marines. For veterans, the Purple Heart medal is the highest honor that can be bestowed by the military person. It is given to heroic service members who were hurt or killed while serving in the U.S. military as a result of enemy conflict. A Purple Heart is an award that indicates a military member has sacrificed or even paid ultimate price while performing their duties, in times of adversity. Since the first award’s ceremony in 1782, more than 1.8 million Purple Heart medals have been given to enlisted patriots, according to the National Purple Heart Hall of Honor. 

At ILS, students have the opportunity to express their gratitude for all the veterans through a club association called the Purple Hearts Club.

“Members show their appreciation for veterans through the art of cards sent for festive occasions such as Valentine’s Day, Veteran’s Day, the 4th of July, Easter, Christmas, and so forth,” explained junior Laura Cornide who is also club president.

Coach Carmen Grosso, who is part of ILS staff advises the club  as he himself is a veteran and recipient of a Purple Heart. Prior to COVID-19, the club visited veteran hospital and homes so students could deliver the cards in person. However, due to the changes of circumstances, Coach Grosso is now the only one who can personally deliver cards to distinguished veterans. 

Since completing community service hours is something each student may struggle with as he or she approaches graduation, the Purple Hearts Club offers an excellent, on-campus solution. Participation and membership afford students service hours.

“For every two cards made, one may receive one service hour,” said junior Laura Cornide.

The club itself is very low maintenance, as it doesn’t involve many after-school meetings.

“This is because students have a life, and things to get done after school, and I am not going to stand in the way of people’s plans,” added Cornide.

Members may interact through Showbie. The work done by the club brings joy to the lives of many who have risked their lives so we may all enjoy our freedom.