Senior Parking Lot Isn’t for All Seniors

Bay Lot vs Senior Lot

Holland Ramos, Editor in Chief

One of the most anticipated and exciting parts of junior and senior year are the privileges granted to start driving and parking on campus. Here at ILS, we have a “bay lot ” and a “senior lot,”, one typically for juniors and the other for seniors. Up until this year, in order for seniors to land a spot in the senior lot, it was first come first serve, but this year getting a spot in the senior lot is a privilege, not a right. Now based on GPA and service hours, some seniors are not pleased.

“All summer I was waiting for the email to be sent out to my parents asking them to pay for my senior spot. I told my dad many times that he had to be ready to get the spot so I’m not stuck in the bay lot. A survey was sent out asking which lot we’d like and I picked senior lot. It was to my surprise when that email never came because I didn’t have the required GPA or service hours,” said senior Nicholas Pinzon.

The senior lot overall serves to be more convenient because it is a lot closer to most buildings on campus. If you’re running late, you have some ease of mind to know that you are just a few steps away from class, rather than it being a five-minute walk. Parking in the senior lot also takes away the stress of having to search for a parking spot because each spot is assigned.

“The bay lot is full of juniors which means new and inexperienced drivers. Unless I get to school very early, I’m stuck parking in what feels like a make-shift lot. It feels like a risk every time I leave my car in the chaos that is junior drivers,” said senior Brianna Davis.

Students with a higher GPA or more services hours should be rewarded, but not with parking which is something we all need. A parking lot separated by students who struggle a bit more in school, and students who have a good resume creates an artificial hierarchy for senior lot spot holders. 

As it is, students with higher GPA’s are already rewarded with increased college admission opportunities, the ability to take selective AP courses, and membership in honor societies. Students with many service hours also receive rewards in terms of scholarship offerings, a more well-rounded resume, and the intrinsic reward of doing the right thing for others.

Unfortunately no matter how the senior lot spots are assigned, not every senior would be able to park there due to the limited capacity. That is why the first-come first served option is the fairest one for all.

“ILS Parent/Students: At this time, we have reached our capacity for parking”