Mission Tuesday Has Gone Digital

Holland Ramos, Editor in Chief

Last year, it was routine for students to have Sister Eileen to approach their table in the middle of lunch and ask for cash while holding an almost empty basket for Mission Tuesday, even as often students did not have cash one hand as rarely anyone used it anymore.

The Mission Tuesday responsibility has been passed down to Ms. D, Ms. Maria De La Guardia, Social Studies Chair. This responsibility includes not only collecting money for the missions, but also educating students on the importance of giving back and feeding the homeless. 

About Mission Tuesday 

The Salesian Sisters help care for the young and the poor in 362 missions worldwide. ILS supports the work of the Salesian Sisters through various service projects and extra-curricular programs. One Tuesday a month, Mission Tuesday will feature a different mission from around the world and invite you to support of this life-saving work. You are invited you to support by starting a new family tradition and donating the price of one meal each month. 

Ms. D had the realization that few students carry cash to school and instead keep a credit card or other form of digital payment. Rather then walking through lunches to collect donations, a new website has been launched where students can donate any amount of money. The ILS community is encouraged to share the link with family, friends, or even outside clubs or sports teams. 

I was relieved when the website made because I always find myself forgetting to bring cash to donate. In past years I would brush off not remembering to bring a donation and excuse my forgetfulness because ‘I have a lot going on.’ The website makes it easy to help others and share with my friends and family

— Senior Valentina Santarelli

The funds raised this month will go to the work of the Sisters in Puerto Rico. Salesian missionaries have six communities in Puerto Rico, including two in San Juan and one in each of the communities of Catano, Aíbonito, Aguadilla, and Orocovis. Salesian sisters are also working in the communities of Aguadilla, Orocovis and Santurce. Because Salesian missionaries and sisters are living in the communities in which they work, they were among the first to respond with shelter and humanitarian relief. Donations make it possible for Salesian Sisters to help shelter, feed, and take care of those in need.