Stressed About College? Read This

Map of United States’ oldest universities per state.

Antonella Velasquez, Editor-in-Chief

With the second semester lurking around the corner and constant reunions with your grandparents at Sunday Mass, the same question keeps being asked:

“Where are you gonna go after you graduate?”

It’s like they want to get rid of us. Well, slow your horses, abuela;  I still have time.  Except… in the blink of an eye, the clock ticks faster and faster. 

In case your mailbox is flooding with useless college pamphlets, and in case you’re too overwhelmed to do the research on your own, here are the top things you should know about some of the most popular schools.

UNIVERSITY OF MIAMI

• The most popular majors at University of Miami include: Registered Nursing/Registered Nurse; Finance, General; Psychology, General; Economics, General; Marketing/Marketing Management, General; Advertising; Biology/Biological Sciences, General; Health Services/Allied Health/Health Sciences, 
  • Capitalizing on its glorious weather, national reputation, and location at the crossroads of the Americas, the University of Miami offers students unparalleled academic support, enrichment activities galore, sports and cultural offerings, wellness and fitness programs, and endless opportunities to explore, engage
  • Upbeat students who are interested on stepping out of their comfort zone and willing to meet people from different cultures and academic backgrounds. Any one interested in Pre-Med, Psychology, Business, Music, International Studies, and anything related to research.

HARVARD

• Harvard students have access to courses, research institutes, and faculty mentors from all parts of Harvard. With world-renowned faculty, state-of-the-art resources, and individualized instruction, it’s the perfect place to pursue your favorite and still-to-be-discovered academic interests.
  • The foundation of Harvard’s academic life is its deep commitment to liberal arts and sciences, which prepares students to think critically, reason analytically, and write clearly. All students take General Education courses, which encourage them to connect the topics they study with the world beyond the classroom.
  • The most popular majors overall in Harvard are Political Science and Government, Economics, Social Sciences, Evolutionary Biology, and Psychology.

YALE

• Popular majors: Economics, Political Science, Biology, History, Psychology 
  • The prestigious university is ranked No. 5 in the nation by U.S. News and World Report. For the 2022-2023 freshman class, Yale had its lowest acceptance rate yet: 4.46%. It’s best known for its strong reputation, exceptional undergraduate teaching, and excellent music and drama programs.
  • As the nation’s second-oldest university, founded in 1701, Yale’s academic reputation is well established. Known for chart-topping graduate and undergraduate programs in a number of fields, Yale is also home to prestigious schools of Law and Management.

FLORIDA STATE UNIVERSITY

• Popular majors: Psychology, Finance, Criminal Justice, Marketing
  • Designated a pre-eminent research university by the state legislature, FSU is also known for its criminal justice programs, as well as its film school.
  • In addition to a rigorous academic reputation, FSU is committed to a student-centered education. FSU boasts the best four-year graduation rate of any public university in Florida and is the number-two producer of Fulbright Scholars in the nation.

FIU

• The most popular majors at Florida International University include: Business, Management, Marketing, and Related Support Services; Psychology; Multi/Interdisciplinary Studies; Biological and Biomedical Sciences; Communication, Journalism, and Related Programs; Engineering; Social Sciences; Computer and Information
  • FIU is among the Top 50 best value public universities and among the Top 15 most innovative public universities. This year, the university made its debut on the list for best undergraduate teaching, ranking No. 16 among public universities for strong commitment to undergraduate teaching.
  • Designated as a top-tier research institution, FIU emphasizes research as a major component in the university’s mission.

LOYOLA New Orleans

• Loyola is consistently named by U.S. News & World Report in their Best Graduate Schools list, with graduate business programs in Accounting, Marketing, Finance, and Management, consistently ranking among the top programs in the country.
  • The most popular majors at Loyola University New Orleans include: Music Management; Psychology, General; Public Relations, Advertising, and Applied Communication; Criminology; Biology/Biological Sciences, General; Business Administration and Management, General; Marketing/Marketing
  • You’ll need at least a mix of A’s and B’s, with more A’s than B’s. You can compensate for a lower GPA with harder classes, like AP or IB classes. This will show that you’re able to handle more difficult academics than the average high school student.

Remember, tt’s never too early to start thinking about the future.