You Need The Royal Courier

Holland Ramos

Coffee, lots of coffee!, is central to the task of journalism.

Holland Ramos, Editor In Chief

Writers and editors for the Royal Courier pose for a photo by the reflection pond

Growing up with an extroverted older sister, I was always described as much more soft spoken and shy. Like most younger siblings, my whole life I tried to get away from following my sister’s lead and conforming to her interests. When I started high school, she was a part of  LTV, so of course, I was also a part of LTV. It didn’t take me long to realize reporting current events on the big screen was not for me, but instead for my sister. 

As my freshman year came to an end, it was time to pick new electives. Frustrated that my love for creating content came to a quick finish, I was unsure what I wanted to do. Journalism was interesting, and I know that I preferred English over math, but writing in my journal every night did not make me qualified to produce content for the whole school. Three years and many articles later, I am now the Editor in Chief of the newspaper. This opportunity has exposed me to a world of creativity, like-minded individuals, and has improved my ability to communicate effectively with a range of people. Being able to collaborate with your peers is not allowed in every class so many students are not able to have the chance to learn from each other. 

Writing for the Royal Courier will provide you with the opportunity to get involved here on campus. It is easy to feel like you don’t know how to navigate through your time at ILS, but this will lead you to get to know new people, new places, and even clubs that you would have never heard of. 

No matter who you are, you will find your place in the newsroom. High school is a  time to experiment with new things, meet new people, and learn what you love to do. When it comes time to choose new electives, picking journalism may be the best decision you make as a student.