Miracle Walk at ILS Supports Down Syndrome Association of Miami

Immaculata La Salle Instagram

ILS Miracle Walk 2022 participants band together in support of the Down Syndrome Association of Miami.

Gabriela Pinate, Writer

The Miracle Walk is an annual event celebrated in downtown Coral Gables, and a very personalized one here at ILS.

ILS alumni and past soccer coach, Ms. Nicole Maribona, brought this event to the school.

This event has been around for five years. It’s where students gather in the field and walk a mile to spread awareness of the Down Syndrome community.

This walk is very important to ILS because there are students and teachers with family or friends with Down Syndrome.

Down Syndrome is a genetic disorder that is caused by chromosome 21, it’s associated with psychical growth delays, mild to moderate  disability and characteristic facial features.
Fun fact: An average young man with Down syndrome as an IQ of 50

This event gives everyone a chance to meet and see some of the kids with Down Syndrome and have fun with them.

When participants see this kids, they realize they aren’t so different after all, and it shows that no matter where they are from or what anyone looks like, at the end of the day, everyone is more alike than different.

To these kids, it means the world to receive love and recognition. The smiles on their faces constitute the best part of the walk.

Witnessing the community engage in fellowship with children who have Down Syndrome, everyone can reach a better understanding of what they experience.

All the benefits raised at the walk go toward supporting the Down Syndrome Association of Miami which helps provide support and services to families and individuals with Down Syndrome.

So what are you waiting for? Come do your part to help out the sweetest kids in the world because they deserve it. If you were not able to join in the walk, you can still contribute to the DSAM by visiting their website.

We are more alike than different

— Martina Ottlino

I was so happy to be apart of an event that was for a good cause

— Maya Moliter

I felt so happy to help the kids

— Camila Marquez