How Faith Can Change Someone’s Career

Isabella Estrada

Mrs. Ana Roman Gonzalez teaching her Christology class about creation.

Isabella Estrada, Writer

Mrs. Ana Roman Gonzalez has been teaching at ILS for about Six years now, and is one of the newest teachers in the Theology department this year, teaching Christology to the sophomore class, and serving as part of ADMA Youth Club. 

Before she started teaching Christology, she taught in the English department for five years. Her courses ran the gamut from freshman honors, freshman regular, sophomore regular, sophomore honors, and seniors, too. She recalls that she never taught an English junior class, but that she did teach a creative writing class which included some juniors. 

“About ten years ago I started feeling a vocation to study theology more and specifically ministry,” she said.

She explained why she switched from teaching English to theology. She mentioned that to fully understand ministry you need to know the theology behind it.  She began a master’s program in theology last year which is when her “awakening moment” took place. 

“The hardest part of this process has been the preparation, I didn’t think that a master’s in theology would be so difficult,” she said. Many of the classes she took cover philosophy, logic, and history. The process from switching departments wasn’t too hard for her because of how welcoming the department has been. 

“I came to the realizations that I really need to be fully part of this program not just to learn for my own but to share with others,” she said.

Mrs. Roman-Gonzalez sees Christology as more than a class.

“It’s an opportunity to share the faith and invite others to follow God in order to have a good relationship with him,” she explained.

This change in career path has been positive.

“It has deepened my knowledge about the faith,  I used to practice without knowing or questioning the history behind the church,” she said.

She added that’s she learned so much about the Catholic Church, its ups and downs, but that throughout history, the Church has kept the same spirit.