Track and Field: Senior Alfonsina Santucho

Alfonsina+Santucho+throws+a+javelin+at+a+Palmer+Trinity+Invitational+Meet+from+last+season.+

Courtesy A. Santucho

Alfonsina Santucho throws a javelin at a Palmer Trinity Invitational Meet from last season.

Marcella Orlandini, Writer

Track and Field is not all about running in circles over and over again, which is what the field part stands for. Field events are based off different jumping competitions: long jump, high jump, and triple jump. At a track meet you will also encounter throwing competitions: shot put, discuss, and javelin. These events are probably the most underrated events in Track and Field as, in order for a team to win, points need to be made somehow. Meaning that head coach, Mr. D’Andre Mickens has other positions to fill in. 

Alfonsina Santucho, currently a senior at ILS,  and both a junior varsity and varsity member of the volleyball team since sophomore year, also contributes to Track and Field team since her freshman year. At the beginning, Alfonsina was forced by one of her closest friends to join the track team. Little did she know how much of an impact she would make in the development of the team. Alfonsina took part in running the sprint events, such as the 100 meters and the 200 meters. Throughout time she had transitioned into becoming a thrower towards the end of her sophomore year. Being a thrower, she participates in three different throwing events, basically every single field-throwing related competition that is held at a high school level meet.

Last year, Alfonsina placed fourth place in throwing javelin at the FHSAA (Florida High-School Athletic Association) Class 2A Track and Field State Championship. Being the only member of the ILS Track and Field team to bring back home a medal, a new school record,  which means high expectations and in consequence comes with additionally high standards for the following season. In the previous rounds, Alfonsina was able to qualify her other events at districts where she was then able to compete at the regional championship meet. At regionals, she had placed ninth place in shot put, and twelfth in discuss.

The approach of Alfonsina’s last high school Track and Field season is near as in less than two weeks the season opener will occur on Thursday, February 16th, at Calvary Christian. With this Alfonsina hopes that with the change of teams that will be competing at the district championship, the girls will all unite themselves in order to live up to the expectation of bringing back home a district championship title, as well as get to experience the opportunity in bringing to Gainesville, where the Track and Field State Championships are held, a bigger group from the team. For more of a personal goal, Alfonsina is determined to improve her personal records in all her events. 

Alfonsina is still unsure, whether or not she desires to continue her throwing career in college, even though she holds a possible Division 1 potential. In college, Division 1 includes the largest universities with many of the best athletic programs in the nation.