Thank You, COVID… Honestly

Even+though+COVID+feels+like+it+was+decades+ago%2C+we+continued+to+learn+from+it+and+grow.+

Photo Illustration: Antonella Velasquez

Even though COVID feels like it was decades ago, we continued to learn from it and grow.

Antonella Velasquez, Editor-in-Chief

While the title of the article may seem like a sarcastic hit towards how COVID ruined all our lives and blah blah blah, it is to actually highlight some of the things we should be grateful that we had to begin doing after COVID. 

Here are the top 10 things we ALL do or should be doing after COVID and wouldn’t be doing if it hadn’t happened. 

1. Appreciating touch and affection with loved ones ( family)

After quarantine, not being able to touch, hug, or be close with the people you love felt more like a blessing than a right. Now I have learned to appreciate people more and show more affection towards those around me.  At the end of the day, we never know when we will be able to do it again.

2.  New technology 

Post COVID, scientists tried to create devices that would allow the least amount of contact  and that would be the most efficient. Amazon and other platforms began selling devices like smart kitchen tools, sanitizing dispensers, bathroom, portable cute hand sanitizers, new ways to open doors without hands, and mask chain holders. 

3.  Improvements in medicine

Of course, COVID also changed medicine and helped progress in many research projects.

Air filtration, space masks, new developments in vaccinations, rolling MRI’s into hospital rooms, as well as the first blood test for Alzheimer’s disease are just some of these.

4.   Better personal hygiene

After COVID, we had to adapt to new health regimens as a way to keep us and our family safe. These things have also now become part of out routine and continue to help us stay hygienic. These include, not touching your face, not sneezing into hands, keeping your distance, not sharing food or drinks, and most importantly, washing your hands often.

washing our hands is one of the best ways to keep germs off and sickness away. (Antonella Velasquez)

5.   Zoom became a better way of communication 

If you tutor, or are constantly in meetings, Zoom saved your life. You no longer have to drive anywhere to meet with people or do formal meetings either. You can wear pajama bottoms during a job interview or a group study session. If you have family out of the country, they can attend all your ceremonies via Zoom, making it easier for all our abuelas to stick their faces in the camera during graduation.

6. Working from home

Same applies to work. No longer having to wear a full suit and tie or pantsuit to do your annual presentation or having to do the -twohour commute you used to. Remote working has now become more popular than ever and everything has become technology based allowing not only a more comfortable vibe, but also for a good cultivation of happiness and relaxation. 

7.   Online shopping 

If your shopping cart didn’t have more than 40 items during quarantine, you weren’t doing it right. Whether it was ordering toilet paper, groceries, or new masks, the “add to cart” button was your best friend  and probably still is. Going to malls and spending hours finding parking just to try on 15 outfits and hate them all, is a waste of time. Clicking a button and having it arrive at your doorstep the next day truly marked the beginning of a new era.

Online shopping addictions grew drastically after COVID because of easy access. (Antonella Velasquez)

9.   Education 

Now more than ever, home-schooling and online study is crucial. From kindergarten to college, students are no longer arriving on campus. Many enjoyed and found it more productive to learn through online platforms than in person. Not to mention the number of colleges that have made their applications test optional because of COVID. This also allowed for a more independent feel as well as making it easier for injured or sick students to continue their education even when they can’t arrive at campus.

10.   Mental health

More importantly, COVID allowed us all to stay home, reflect, and focus on our mental health outside of the usual stress. It allowed people to spend more time with their close family and appreciate small things. It allowed those locked in a room with themselves to confront their problems. Meditation, exercise, yoga, prayer, therapy, and more were many ways that people let out stress and began their health journey.

Stress, anxiety, panic attacks, and other mental health disturbances became very common during the COVID pandemic. (Antonella Velasquez)

Overall, COVID shook our “normal” lives like an earthquake. Some struggled, and some enjoyed it, but nonetheless, we prospered and while I am sure we are all tired of hearing about it, we can now truly say, “Thank You, COVID.”