AP: Is It Worth It?

Photo Illustration: Marcella Orlandini

This AP company logo appears on all study books, their website, and the actual AP exams.

Marcella Orlandini, Writer

They are a lot of work and some colleges don’t even accept them so there’s a chance you did them all for nothing

— Mariana Pardo

Advanced Placement courses (AP) for college credit may be worthwhile for a number of reasons, including potential advantages during the college admissions process. Here are some things to think about:

If the value of the material learned in school is not enough to prepare one to go to their dream college, then AP could be a route to help students go through a more noticeable rigorous program.

— Mr. Cotter Lamb

1. College credit: You can obtain college credit while still in high school by enrolling in Advanced Placement (AP) courses. As a result, you may be able to graduate from college earlier or enroll in more challenging courses during your time there. By lowering the number of college credits you need to finish, it can also help you save money.
  2. Proficiency and readiness: Enrolling in difficult courses shows that you are willing to push yourself academically. It shows college admissions officers that you are driven, able to handle college-level work, and willing to push yourself above the requirements of the educational programs. This will distinguish your college application and demonstrate your dedication to academic success.
  3. Admission to colleges: While each college has its own requirements, many prestigious and exclusive schools place a high priority on students who have completed challenging curriculum. Your academic record can be improved by taking advanced courses, which can increase your chances of being accepted. Admissions officers are aware of the difficulty of advanced courses and the effort needed to succeed in them. Your chances of being admitted to college can be improved by receiving high grades in these courses, as Advanced Placement Classes tend to increase your GPA as assignments, tests, quizzes, projects etc are all based off a 6.0 scale.
  4. College placement: Advanced courses can still help you by preparing you for the academic demands of college, even if college credit does not directly transfer. You can acquire critical thinking, intellectual capacity, and productive study habits that will serve you well in college thanks to the demanding coursework and increased expectations in advanced courses.

It’s crucial to remember that while taking advanced classes can help your college application, they are not the sole requirement for acceptance. Standardized test scores, extracurricular activities, essays, recommendation letters, and general academic achievement are all factors that admissions officers take into account. In order to ensure admission to superior universities, it is crucial to maintain a well-rounded profile and not just rely on advanced courses.

In the end, enrolling in advanced classes can have a number of benefits, including obtaining college credit, improving academic performance, and speeding up the college application process. But it’s crucial to strike a balance between your course load and your interests, skills, and general wellbeing.

Source: https://www.bestcolleges.com/blog/ap-classes-are-they-worth-it/#:~:text=AP%20classes%20give%20students%20practice,success%20at%20the%20next%20level.

If you like the subject, take it. If you don’t like the subject, just don’t even bother.

— Valentina Perez