The Movies are Marvelous in 2023

COURTESY EVERETT COLLECTION
This year’s movies are globally hailed by critics as some of the best: “Cinema is back!” This image is a still of Cillian Murphy who played the lead role in the film “Oppenheimer.”

“Watching Barbie felt like attending the world’s biggest sleepover. All the girls dressed up in pink and laughed at the same jokes.”

— Senior Gabriella Costa

2023 movies are an absolute sensation; art, action, war, fantasy, comedy. Fans have raved about the combo Barbenheimer—Others did not, indicating Marvel to have “fallen off,” and  Wes Anderson’s movie Asteroid City earning mixed reviews.

“I have been very impressed by the animated feature films this year,” Ms. Lianne Rodriguez said.

“Spider-Man Across the Spiderverse” is a renowned animated movie which debuted in  June. (Dinkun Chen )

Ms. Rodriguez, ILS’s wonderful drama teacher, and her husband, theology teacher Mr. Nick Shaheen, both loved this movie for its wonderful animation, topical humor, and variety found in each “Spiderverse.” That said, Ms. Rodriguez still prefers the first film in the series.

Senior Ines Unda, a self-proclaimed movie connoisseur, praised Christopher Nolan’s summer release, Oppenheimer, for its impactful cinematography, historical accuracy, and star-studded ensemble, which included the likes of Emily Blunt and Cillian Murphy.

She stated that, in addition to its aesthetic appeal, “Oppenheimer says a lot about American history and discusses topics that are uncomfortable but necessary.”

Ines is alluding to the movie’s commentary on the atomic bombs dropped over Japan at the end of World War II.

“It doesn’t glorify the death of 200,000 people,” she added. Like many, she agrees that the movie offers a fresh and nuanced perspective on the historical debate.

Oppenheimer also generated a lot of buzz because it was released on the same day as another blockbuster hit: Greta Gerwig’s (Little Women) Barbie. “Starring blonde bombshell Margot Robbie, (Birds of Prey), the film tells the story of the famous doll while also providing a layered commentary about what it means to be a human— rather ironic coming from plastic.

Senior Gabriella Costa had this to say about the movie: “Watching Barbie felt like attending the world’s biggest sleepover. All the girls dressed up in pink and laughed at the same jokes.”

Overall, 2023 has been an extremely fruitful year for the entertainment industry, in the theatres and outside it. With the writers’ strike finally at an end, viewers hope to see many more exciting films soon.

$0
$500