Junior Nahia Riveros holds the runner up trophy for the district championships in Track and Field.
Sports Flash for May
Nick Fernandez and Luna FernandezMay 16, 2024
The thirteenth birthday creole cake, using chocolate peanut butter frosting, for writer Miguel Suarez-Cabals birthday.
Creole Cake Chaos
Miguel Suarez-Cabal, Feature and News Editor • May 16, 2024
Sophomore Ernie Losada and junior Miguel Suarez-Cabal study for their exams weeks ahead of them to prevent cramming.
How to Study Effectively for Finals
Valentina Lanza, Opinion and Podcast Editor • May 16, 2024
The seniors celebrated their last ever Homecoming together, creating a bittersweet memory they will cherish.
Goodbye, Seniors
Ernesto Losada, Writer • May 16, 2024
The cultural elements and nature visible all around the ILS campus remind just how valuable it is to travel.  Photo Collage: Ella Baker
Traveling is Essential
Ella Baker, Writer • May 16, 2024

Casual Fridays: Where Do We Draw the Line?

Three examples of how to pull off a Casual Friday “look.”
FashionbyHe

“I think that while it’s comfortable and nice to dress in a more casual way, you shouldn’t go to work in something that’s inappropriate. If other people are pointing out that it’s making them uncomfortable, you shouldn’t be wearing that.”

— Veronica Salazar

“Casual Fridays” first gained popularity in the 1940s when a Hawaiian shirt company implemented the policy and encouraged their workers to wear Hawaiian shirts on Fridays. The idea gradually spread to other companies and different industries as a way to promote products and increase corporate morale. 

As time passed, other companies started using the idea and voila! “Casual Fridays” became a regular practice in corporate America. The concept became popular because it gave employees a break from a usually formal and professional work setting. Casual Fridays also gave employees a chance to let their hair down, relax for the weekend ahead, and showcase their personal style.

As the culture evolved, so did the workforce and its customs. The way people dress has changed dramatically in the last 80 years. The shift in America’s office culture is mostly due to the rise of technology and different creative industries. Because of that shift, companies have started to have a more lax office dress code. 

“Honestly, if I had to work a 9-5 job, I would hate working with a suit on,” said senior Nadia Pages.

Since its inception, “Casual Fridays” have expanded to the whole week! Companies have started to ditch suits and embrace casual/semi casual work attire. The driving factor is to appeal to younger generations to the work force and from different industries. 

Furthermore, there have been studies that prove that when companies allow employees to dress casually, it improves their productivity and gets their creative juices flowing. Studies show that when people are more comfortable in what they’re wearing, they actually work harder. 

According to Vinitti.com, “When employees are able to dress in a way that makes them feel comfortable and confident, they are more likely to feel at ease in their work environment, leading to increased creativity, collaboration, and productivity.”

However, where is the line drawn at what someone can or can’t wear? The problem is that as Casual Fridays have become more common, people have started to push the boundaries of what is appropriate. It’s very important to note that they’re still expectations for what is considered to be appropriate and professional work attire. 

“Ok but is it really ok to show up to work in a sports top and tight yoga pants?” wondered UCF college freshman, Amara Martinez.

The history of Casual Friday just shows how much things can change especially in America’s fast paced society. Because culture is always evolving, society has moved away from a strict and rigid dress code.

Nonetheless, it’s important to remember that there should be a balance between comfort and professionalism. 

$0
$500