Exploring Emotions Through Music Education

Part 1 of 3
All the varieties of musical genres bring about a number of different emotions.
Erik Mclean

In the vibrant world of today’s music education, students and faculty are not only improving their technical skills and mastering musical theory, but also engaging in a rich tapestry of diverse sounds and genres that shape them in the direction of their musical journey. From classical, to throwbacks, to HipHop, and rap, music students and faculty are immersing themselves in a wide range of musical landscapes. 

Students discover therapeutic benefits when listening to the diverse range of music, allowing them to be able to connect with themselves as they relate to the songs. Many turn to music not just as a subject of study, but as a source of comfort and inspiration. 

Music lovers often bond over the artist they love and relate to. (Daniela Beltran)

“Music has the ability to evoke a wide spectrum of emotions, whether it be happy or sad emotions. Music also allows us to connect to those feelings. You’ll see students bonding over albums that are dropping and suggesting different genres,” said senior Camilla Souza.

“Music has helped a lot in my life. It’s helped me get through the tough times I’ve dealt with. Listening to music puts me in my comfort zone, makes me feel like I can really express myself without any judgment. I love jamming out to music with my friends in the car because it expresses the love we all have for music, but also makes it feel like we can be ourselves,” said senior Emilie Reyes.

It is this important role of music as a powerful tool that reduces stress, lifts mood and promotes emotional flexibility. Those who incorporate various musical genres into their everyday life, are more emotionally healthy and have better resilience against academic stress. Sharing playlists, recommendations to a song, and other musical outlets, builds a sense of community for not just students, but for staff as well. 

“Listening to different genres helps me process my emotions. It’s like each piece becomes a soundtrack to different aspects of my life, providing comfort and inspiration when I need it,” said senior Michelle Rodriguez.

Music isn’t just about learning technical skills in the journey through the music world. It’s also a vital part of healing and self-discovery. As students immerse themselves more into a musical universe,  they’re not only comforting their technical abilities; they’re composing a symphony of emotional well-being that harmonizes with their academic achievements.

$0
$500