The Final Stretch: Senior Requirements

Part 3 of 3
The ILS website image of graduation requirements contains many important details seniors need to know.
Aubree Arango

An ILS graduation means more than just receiving a cap and gown and saying goodbyes. Yes, when that day comes, it establishes that seniors are done, but it is really about what builds up to that moment. Besides all the fun activities and moments we share, it is about all the work that goes into it and what the school requires for seniors to walk off that stage and start a new chapter…

“I have never taken the time out of my day to really look into what is actually required to graduate. I just kinda do what I have to do and move on,” said senior Nicholas Dominguez.

“I know about the basics of the graduation requirements and I try my best to make sure I get good grades, don’t have too many absences, and keep my GPA good, but honestly I have just been counting down the days till I walk on that stage and be done,” said senior Michelle Rodriguez. 

“I definitely have never looked into the graduation requirements, I just know what is expected and I do my best,” said senior Mia Barbacci. 

Let’s remind everyone, particularly seniors, what is actually required for them to graduate. If you are a senior, stop complaining, start counting down the days, and realize that there is a lot involved to it: 

To graduate, a Senior must: 

1. Have an un-weighted cumulative grade point average of 2.0 on a 4.0 scale, or its equivalent, for courses required for graduation.
  2. Take and pass the academic requirements mandated by the State of Florida Board of Education and the those others mandated by Immaculata-La Salle High School specifically.
  3. Re-take and pass any failed course, regardless of the number of credits he/she has already earned;
  4. A student will not receive his/her diploma unless the credit(s) is/are made up during summer school or in a night school approved by the Principal. 
  5. Pass and therefore receive credit for all the courses in which he or she is matriculated during senior year in order to receive his/her diploma, regardless of the number of credits already earned. 
  6. Write and submit a Senior English research paper and receive a grade of C- or higher. 
  7. Complete the required one hundred (100) hours of community service by the specified deadline as well as the service-learning project.

If you’re curious about the specifics, you can click on this link for more information: https://www.ilsroyals.com/academics

There you will find the requirements of the State of Florida Department of Education marked with an asterisk (*), and the other requirements of ILS. Along with this link, there is a “curriculum guide” button which goes into greater detail.

“Wow. After you showed me just a few of them, I really never realized how much is actually required and honestly after reading the few, I looked into and just thought how much I’ve actually done for that diploma,”

— Michelle Rodriguez

“Gosh, I didn’t think there was actually so many, but I’m proud of myself for making it this far,” said senior Nicholas Dominguez.

So as you can see, graduating is not just about receiving a diploma, it is also a reflection of all the dedication and determination put into it. Yes, the road to graduation is long, boring, exciting, overwhelming, and really all the emotions above but in the end, it is all worth it.

If you are not a senior, just take into consideration what is required and fulfill those requirements to the best of your ability. And if you are a senior, don’t let the senioritis make you stop fulfilling these requirements, and don’t let it consume you because in just a few months, there are going to be very different requirements in college and for life…

$0
$500