Junior Nahia Riveros holds the runner up trophy for the district championships in Track and Field.
Sports Flash for May
Nick Fernandez and Luna FernandezMay 16, 2024
The thirteenth birthday creole cake, using chocolate peanut butter frosting, for writer Miguel Suarez-Cabals birthday.
Creole Cake Chaos
Miguel Suarez-Cabal, Feature and News Editor • May 16, 2024
Sophomore Ernie Losada and junior Miguel Suarez-Cabal study for their exams weeks ahead of them to prevent cramming.
How to Study Effectively for Finals
Valentina Lanza, Opinion and Podcast Editor • May 16, 2024
The seniors celebrated their last ever Homecoming together, creating a bittersweet memory they will cherish.
Goodbye, Seniors
Ernesto Losada, Writer • May 16, 2024
The cultural elements and nature visible all around the ILS campus remind just how valuable it is to travel.  Photo Collage: Ella Baker
Traveling is Essential
Ella Baker, Writer • May 16, 2024

Do’s and Don’ts of Senior Year

Advice from Our Very Own ILS Seniors
Lucia Salazar
The class of 2024 reunites one final time before the famous ILS bayside for their senior sunrise photo.

As the final chapter of high school unfolds, seniors balance the excitement of graduation and college with the sadness of a chapter, the high school experience, closing. While we look back on our high school years, there are some things we would never redo and many regrets we wish we could go back and fix. So, here is some wisdom from your elders before it’s your turn…

Do:

1. Senior Alana Salazar’s advice is to start planning for your future now. “Things would have been much easier if I had started college applications, studied for the SAT, and planned what I wanted to do earlier. My senior year might have been less stressful. So, definitely start preparing as early as you can. “It is crucial to start the preparation process early to spread the workload and avoid the last-minute rush that often accompanies these tasks. Whether researching potential colleges, investigating scholarship opportunities, or considering alternative paths such as gap years or internships, starting early allows you to figure out what you’re looking for and make a plan,” she added.
  2. One thing every senior can agree on is to savor the moments. There are many important events in your senior year: prom, grad bash, senior week, and pep rallies to name a few. Participate in everything you can. Enjoy all your lasts! Your last first day of school, your last sports events, school events, everything. You’re a senior. You’ve been through at least eleven years of school, but as much as you think you’re ready to leave and get away from everything, take it slow and take in every moment. Senior Daniela Aguila said, “Make every moment count because you may not realize it now, but your senior year will go by quickly, and before you know it, you’ll be graduating and wondering where the time went. Spend time appreciating the present moment, and spend time appreciating your friendships. Relationships will change when friends go on different paths, so cherish the memories you’re making now.”
  3.  Be friends with everyone. Senior Andrea Garza said, “Be nice to everyone. It’s not worth it to hold onto drama and grudges. Be open to a friendship with anyone because you will never expect who you’ll become friends with.” This is the year for everyone to come together as a class one last time. Wasting time stuck in your little cliques is pointless. This is the last time you will be here with these people, so make the most of it.
Seniors don their color, red, during an assembly. Photo: Lucia Salazar

Don’t:

1. Don’t procrastinate. This goes for college preparation but also with your schoolwork in general. Senior Nicholas Wallen said, “Turn in everything. Do your assignments when they are assigned because you know you won’t do them later. Senior year is only difficult if you make it difficult.” You will regret not keeping up your grades when all your friends are hanging out, and you can’t go because you’re so behind on your schoolwork. Senioritis is real and lethal, so don’t let it take over, especially after being admitted to a college. Remember, colleges will review your final transcripts!
  2. Senior Mia Huidobro said, “Don’t waste time worrying about what others think or comparing yourself to people. It’s mentally draining.” If you spend your high school years embarrassed to be yourself, you will not get the high school experience you deserve. Don’t change your personality just to be liked by others.
  3. Don’t let other people get in your head about where you decide to go to college. Senior Sofia Yanes said, “When choosing a college, do what you think is best for YOU. Don’t make a decision based on where your friends are going. Stay close to home if you want to, go out of the country, or do whatever works for you. Don’t let anyone make you feel bad about your chosen college.” You’ll make friends wherever you go, so this is the moment to get out of your comfort zone and start making decisions on your own. Don’t let anyone make you feel wrong about the college you chose.
  4. Don’t make short-term “mature” decisions over stupidity. Adulting will hit hard regardless because you will never be prepared enough, and that’s okay. Make mistakes and laugh them off.

Being a senior is a bittersweet feeling. You wish everything could stay the same while being restless for the moment you’re walking down that stage with your cap and gown. On behalf of the class of 2024, we extend our warmest wishes to those who will soon embark on their senior year journey.

$0
$500