ILS’s AI Policy Revealed

Part 1 of 4
New this winter, ILS has implemented an  AI policy for students and faculty.
New this winter, ILS has implemented an AI policy for students and faculty.
Daniela Beltran

At ILS, the consideration of AI applications in the curriculum was a matter of debate and discussion among faculty, administration and students. The school has had a reputation of academic excellence for years with a focus on providing students a well-rounded education which prepares them to meet the challenges of the world today.

Following a long and detailed process, the school proposed a balanced solution for AI integration, implementing AI in some classes for instance, mathematics and science where it shall play an instrumental role in helping students to solve complex problems as well as develop a deeper appreciation for a variety of academic pursuits.

Below you can read for yourself the new AI Policy document for ILS students and faculty.

Immaculata-Salle High School

AI Policy – Syllabus Addendum 

Every assignment in this course is designed either to help you understand and explain the material or to assess your mastery of it. The use of generative AI to complete assignments conflicts with these important goals. Therefore, unless otherwise explicitly stated by your teacher (see below), the use of generative AI to complete assignments conflicts with the ILS Honor Code: “An Immaculata-La Salle High School student will not lie, cheat, steal or tolerate the actions of those who do.”

All summative and formative assignments will belong to one of three categories: Red, Yellow, and Green.

Red: The use of AI is not permitted in generating final work.
Yellow: Refer to teacher instructions for details on how you may use AI on this assignment.           

Green:Students are free to use AI as they see fit.

By default, all assignments are Red. Unless otherwise noted in the instructions, the use of AI is not permitted in generating final work. Because of the fundamental differences between plagiarism and the dishonest use of AI, the following policy differs from Immaculata-La Salle High School’s plagiarism policy. This policy applies to the use of all generative AI technologies, including but not limited to large language models, math solvers, and text-to-image generators.

Where there is a reasonable suspicion that the use of AI has not been in accordance with the assignment instructions, the teacher reserves the right to schedule a meeting with the student and ask them to demonstrate their ownership of the material submitted. This may include, but is not limited to: an informal dialogue, a question-and-answer session, asking the student to rephrase and/or explain elements from the assignment, or asking the student to rewrite short portions of the assignment or provide alternate examples.

If the teacher and Dean of Academics find that the student cannot demonstrate ownership of the content and skills assessed, the following consequences will apply. These consequences are school-wide and cumulative, not per class.

1st offense:

• Student will redo the work, while still meeting all other assignment deadlines. Depending on the assignment, the teacher will determine the time allotted for the resubmission.
  • Student can earn no more than 89% on the resubmission.
  • Parents will be notified via email.
    2nd offense:
  • Student can earn no more than 75% on the resubmission.
  • Parents will be notified via email.
    3rd offense:
  • Student can earn no more than 50% on the resubmission.
  • Student may be issued demerits.
  • Parents will be notified via email.

4th offense:

• Student receives a zero for the assignment.
  • Student may be issued demerits.
  • Student and parents will meet with Dean of Academics and/or Dean of Students to discuss disciplinary actions.

Student and Parent/Guardian Agreement
I have read and understand the AI policy as stated in this syllabus addendum. I further understand that this policy does not replace or alter any current policies in the Immaculata-La Salle Student/Parent Handbook or course syllabus.

The AI policy at Immaculata La-Salle High School is seen as a success after students benefited from the opportunities that AI provided without losing the basics of their education. The way the school has applied it has become an inspiration for other schools to follow the same path of using AI in their curriculum in a responsible way.

$0
$500