One Day On Netflix Will Leave You Sobbing

Quick Review of Trendy Netflix show, “One Day”
The first episode of the show starts with the date headline of 15 July, 1988 (the night Dexter and Emma met). Dont be surprised that as you walk through campus you find students during their lunch period binging on their laptops.
The first episode of the show starts with the date headline of 15 July, 1988 (the night Dexter and Emma met). Don’t be surprised that as you walk through campus you find students during their lunch period binging on their laptops.
Ella Baker

Based on the 2009 novel of the same name, One Day is a British romantic drama television series. You might’ve seen it’s bold yellow cover on your Netflix page, seen countless edits of it on TikTok, or maybe you watched it. This wouldn’t come as a surprise because for the last two weeks, One Day has been in the top 10 most watched shows on the notable platform. To quickly sum it up, the show follows the story of Emma Morley played by Ambika Mod and Dexter Mayhew, played by Leo Woodall. Emma and Dexter meet on the night of their graduation in 1988 as the show revolves around their 20-year long relationship. Each episode is centered on a new day in which viewers get to capture snapshots of both their relationships over the years.

Dexter and Emma’s friendship, which clearly intensifies with time in a beautiful and moving way, is what kept viewers invested. The show includes multiple popular tropes among young adult fiction favorites, such as the slow burn, miscommunication, friends to lovers, and more.

As someone who went in to the show blindly, with no context, I was taken aback by the devastating ending. Many viewers felt the same. When seeing advertisements for the show, it seemed like a sweet, lighthearted one  to binge. This was not the case! However, sad it was, One Day seemed to provide a cathartic experience for its fans, including junior Alyssa Grace: 

“These types of shows leave me in tears every time, but I still watch them,” she said.

Even though it wasn’t as lighthearted as I imagined, I loved One Day. It will have you thinking about it for days, which isn’t very common for such a short-lived show with only 14 episodes. The storyline in itself was mesmerizing as much as it was depressing. I believe that a show’s worth can be determined by how much it makes you feel, and based on the wide range of emotions and the heartbreak I suffered during and after watching One Day, I can say it was truly memorable and worth the watch.

$0
$500