The 2024 Oscars: A Night of Big Wins and Surprises

The Oppenheimer cast display their awards to the cameras, highlight pride in their work. GettyImages/Gilbert Flores
Vanessa Hudgens walking the 2024 Oscars red carpet with her surprise baby bump. (GettyImages) Gilbert Flores

The 96th Academy Awards occurred March 10th, 2024, at the prestigious Dolby Theatre in Los Angeles. The evening was filled with dazzling fashion, heartfelt speeches, and a few surprising award winners.

The evening started with a glamorous red carpet-event featuring a dazzling array of A-list celebrities. Vanessa Hudgens captivated everyone with an unexpected announcement of her pregnancy, and there was a palpable air of excitement as rumors swirled about Ryan Gosling’s much-anticipated performance of a song from the movie Barbie.

An emotional, teary-eyed Da’Vine Joy Randolph pleased with the work she has accomplished. (GettyImages) Rich Polk

Da’Vine Joy Randolph opened the awards ceremony with a win for Best Supporting Actress for her role in The Holdovers. Both she and her co-star, Paul Giamatti, were moved to tears by her sincere acceptance speech. Her victory represented more than just receiving the award; it symbolized the triumph of an underdog. Her emotional address likely touched on overcoming obstacles, the significance of self-confidence, and the happiness of being acknowledged. Whether expressing his joy or reflecting on his journey, Giamatti’s reaction added depth to the moment.

Passionate co-stars Paul Giamatti and Da’Vine Joy Randolph shared a comforting hug after her speech moved him. (GettyImages) Rich Polk

The night’s biggest winner was Christopher Nolan’s Oppenheimer, which won the Best Picture award. The film also secured wins for Best Actor, Cillian Murphy, and a long-awaited Best Supporting Actor award for Robert Downey Jr.

Ryan Gosling rocking his sparkly pink suit making Barbie proud. (GettyImages) Frank Micelotta

In the Adapted Screenplay category, newcomer Cord Jefferson’s American Fiction surprisingly beat established names like Christopher Nolan and Greta Gerwig’s Barbie script.

Ryan Gosling did indeed take the stage, performing a show-stopping number from Barbie, complete with a now-iconic pink suit. It was a high-energy, visually striking performance with elaborate choreography, dynamic camerawork, and backup dancers. Next to him as backup dancers were some of the other Kens from the movie; some say it’s the Superbowl performance we wanted but didn’t get.

The night also saw wins for Killers of the Flower Moon in cinematography and Maestro in costume design.

Beyond the awards, there were several unforgettable moments throughout the night. A surprise appearance by John Cena, where he donned a strategically placed fig leaf, caused a stir on social media. The ceremony balanced humor with heartfelt tributes, making it a night to remember for movie fans.

$0
$500