The Worldwide Feast of Gratitude Bridge represents Immaculata-La Salle’s connection with the nation of Mozambique.
Valentina Lanza

ILS Comes together to Celebrate Worldwide Feast of Gratitude

Worldwide Feast of Gratitude is an annual event organized by the Salesian sisters across the globe. This year, Sisters in Mozambique have been bestowed with the honor of preparing the feast April 23-26.

Throughout this Feast, Salesians are called to acknowledge the Sister who is held responsible for overlooking the Community. A valued tradition since 1849 inspired by Immaculata-La Salle’s Patron Saint, Don Bosco, Worldwide Feast of Gratitude has tailored its focus this year on the African nation of Mozabique.

“Don Bosco, on his name day, June 24, the feast of St. John the Baptist, Patron of Turin, wanted the young people to express thanks to him with songs, music, and a lot of joy,” according to cgfmanet.org.

Since then, the day has grown exponentially in importance, receiving recognition in countries throughout the world. Salesian sisters have found that not only is awareness being brought to a devoted person,  it also informs and gathers young generations.

“The Feast of Gratitude is a moment of strong communion of the whole Institute that gathers around Mother as a center of unity and bond of communion between all the Sisters and, as Educating Communities, together with young people, lay people, families,” stated cgfmanet.org.

As the years passed, it was decided a certain theme would accompany this day to provide a subject for which the day would be centered.

“Mother Antonia Colombo established that each World Feast of Gratitude would have a specific theme to give content to the celebration and thus arouse reflection and sharing during the time of preparation,” again according to cgfmanet.org.

The chosen theme for this year’s celebration is, “With Mary guided by the dream, making peace by caring for our common home,” said Sister Kim Keraitis, FMA, ILS Principal..

Here at ILS, each day has been assigned to a certain class to perform a task that resembles a beatitude.

“April 22: Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the Kingdom of heaven (Recognize the presence of God in every person and in creation) Seniors. April 23: Blessed are the peacemakers for they will be called children of God (Concrete gestures of brotherhood and peace) Juniors. April 24: Blessed are the merciful for they will find mercy (Gestures of forgiveness, given and received) Sophomores. April 25: Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God (Expressions of joy) Freshmen,” shared Sister Kim.

In search for what events should be done to commemorate each day, some juniors have an idea as to how they would like to show their gratitude.

“Possibly making a line of small people cut outs around the school or a wall, and writing positive words on them would be a fun and creative activity to show our unity and get the classes involved,” shared junior Alysa Grace Calixte.

$0
$500