The Student News Site of Immaculata-La Salle High School

Royal Courier

Royal Courier

Royal Courier

Junior Nahia Riveros holds the runner up trophy for the district championships in Track and Field.
Sports Flash for May
Nick Fernandez and Luna FernandezMay 16, 2024
The thirteenth birthday creole cake, using chocolate peanut butter frosting, for writer Miguel Suarez-Cabals birthday.
Creole Cake Chaos
Miguel Suarez-Cabal, Feature and News Editor • May 16, 2024
Sophomore Ernie Losada and junior Miguel Suarez-Cabal study for their exams weeks ahead of them to prevent cramming.
How to Study Effectively for Finals
Valentina Lanza, Opinion and Podcast Editor • May 16, 2024
The seniors celebrated their last ever Homecoming together, creating a bittersweet memory they will cherish.
Goodbye, Seniors
Ernesto Losada, Writer • May 16, 2024
The cultural elements and nature visible all around the ILS campus remind just how valuable it is to travel.  Photo Collage: Ella Baker
Traveling is Essential
Ella Baker, Writer • May 16, 2024

Lotus House: Blooming from Darkness to Radiance

The lotus flower stands as the symbol for the lotus house.
The lotus flower stands as the symbol for the lotus house. (Diaset Cabrera )
Jemisha(left), an alum of Lotus House, and Sharonee (right) also an alum of Lotus House and currently Operations Director are pictured with executive director, Isabella Dell’Oca. (Diaset Cabrera )
Isabella Dell’Oca (c/o 2010) is the executive director of the lotus house. (Diaset Cabrera )

Upon first glance, a lotus flower is a sign of beauty and perfection. What many do not see, is the process that takes place to bring this flower to its most beautiful state. Lotus seeds begin their journey at the bottom of mud, and as the plant grows, an alluring flower emerges along the surface of the water. Much like the lotus flower, the women at the Lotus House Women’s Shelter experience a similar journey, coming from despair and darkness, yet emerging hopeful and radiant.

Located in the heart of Overtown, Lotus House is more than just a shelter; it’s a beacon of hope, strength, and community. Behind its doors lies a story of determination and the determination of one remarkable individual. All under one roof, hundreds of women, each with unique paths and stories, call the house their home.

Meet Ms. Isabella Dell’Oca, the inspiring leader whose passion and dedication has transformed countless lives, shaping Lotus House into a sanctuary of empowerment and renewal. Embark on the extraordinary story of compassion and change that defines both the institution and its Executive Director.

Isabella Dell’Oca was first inspired for her love of service at Immaculata-La Salle where she graduated in 2010. Isabella shared that she was a member of the SALTT club which kickstarted her passion for helping others.

“When I was a student at ILS, I participated in SALTT club, run by Ms. Maria De La Guardia. I participated in the Mindo missions, trips to Nicaragua, and I took the social justice class,” she added.

She describes how participating in these activities and clubs allowed her to recognize the privilege she held and engendered a desire for her to help those who were not given the same opportunities.

The Lotus House Women’s Shelter provides sanctuary, shelter, and support to women, youth, and children experiencing homelessness. The Lotus House community is one of support and compassion. Inside, the Lotus House holds thousands of stories and journeys. When asked to share an inspiring story that has taken place within the Lotus House, Isabella said, “Success stories are not something we lack here; we see success and inspiration daily, so much so that naming one specific story would be impossible. Lotus House shelters over 1,500 women, youth and children annually, with an average stay of a little over six months. In 2023, 87% of our guests successfully exited outside of the shelter system. I see inspiration within everyone here.”

With a comprehensive approach, the shelter provides services such as family and individual counseling, education services, job readiness and training, childcare, holistic programming and more.

Supporting Lotus House Women’s Shelter is a necessity within the community. It offers women with extensive trauma histories, including victims of domestic and gender-based violence, a window of opportunity to heal and blossom into who they are meant to be.

Isabella explained, “Lotus House caters to each individual person’s needs; it’s not one size fits all.”

Each person who enters Lotus House has a different story and past. Each individual’s needs are met when she is provided with the services she needs for her specific scenario. The aim is not just to alleviate immediate crises but also to empower women to rebuild their lives. The Lotus House stands as a sign of opportunity and hope for so many. Every woman is heard and supported on her journey towards a brighter future.

Supporting Lotus House Women’s Shelter is a necessity within the community. It offers a vital lifeline to women in dire situations such as homelessness, teen pregnancy, abuse, drug addiction, and mental health struggles. There are numerous ways the community can contribute from volunteering to organizing fundraisers or donating essentials like clothing and toiletries. Financial donations are always crucial, helping to sustain and expand services that empower women, along with their families, to regain stability.

By visiting lotushouse.org, you, too, can be a part of this worthwhile endeavor.

Engaging with and supporting Lotus House not only aids in addressing critical issues but also strengthens the community by fostering an environment of support and hope. In participating in the effort to end homelessness with Lotus House, the community can help ensure that every woman has the opportunity to live a healthy and fulfilling life.

$0
$500