Healthy Lifestyle Tips to Live By

Cajun Shrimp and Sausage Vegetable Skillet.

Lia Sarria, Writer

It’s hard being a student or parent and always making sure you eat clean and healthy. Here are some tips to help you stay on track.

The two most important tips on staying healthy is to always make sure you are: drinking water and getting enough sleep. The average person should drink eight cups of water a day and get 7-9 hours of sleep a day.

Most students at ILS get hungry and buy food at the vending machine. While that is very yummy and always a nice treat, your better off bringing something healthy from home incase the machines have nothing healthy that day.

Some healthy snacks include: Kind Bars, any type of nuts, granola, and many more. All of these snacks have different flavors so it’s impossible to get bored of them. 

Another health tip is to have your meals planned out and eat smaller portions. If you can eat small portions of healthy food throughout your day, your body will stay full and digest well.

Whenever you can it’s always best to cook home made meals because you can know how fresh and clean all your ingredients are and know exactly where they came from.

Avoid drinking your calories can be another very important tip. Instead of getting a sugary drink, just bring a water bottle to school and put lemon or mint in it.

From my own personal experience making a board of healthy foods and recipes has helped me when I’m not sure what I should make at home. 

You can also substitute things you use to eat with healthy alternatives, instead of eating potato chips you can bake your own at home with zucchini.

The most important foods to always make sure your getting is vegetables, fruits, and protein. If you mix either of those in a meal your all set for a delicious healthy meal.

While eating healthy you don’t wanna deprive yourself of eating those wonderful salty or sweet foods we all love so much. It’s okay to trust yourself every once in awhile to keep up with your new healthy lifestyle.

Below are some healthy recipes you can make for your family or friends:

Cajun Shrimp and Sausage Vegetable Skillet

Avocado Pasta

Baked Parmesan Zucchini Curly Fries