Senioritis: A Very Real Disease

Dominique Gonzalez, Writer

Do you frequently stay home from school because you are “sick”? Is homework becoming too much of a burden for you? Do you daydream or sleep when you’re supposed to be paying attention? Are you a senior?

If the answer is yes to most of these questions, then you are suffering from senioritis. Senioritis, as defined by Marriam-Webster, is “an ebbing of motivation and effort by school seniors as evidenced by tardiness, absences, and lower grades.” 

I, as a senior, have been suffering from senioritis since the 2nd semester started. I remember having straight As first quarter, and now I have almost straight Bs. I personally always do my work in school, but the second I get home I don’t even look at my iPad, even if I know I have loads of homework. For example, it has taken me over a week to write this article, mainly because I have absolutely no motivation.  

Multiple seniors feel the same as I, while some have been noticing the symptoms since senior year started. Senior Saleen Grave De Peralta explains that senioritis affected her most during the first quarter. 

“I never studied for anything, nor did I do any homework until the night before or even the morning of.”

Alicia Fortuny also diagnosed herself with senioritis in September. She elaborated on how she loathed doing anything remotely involving school and how it’s affected her grades. 

“I actually got, like, three Bs last semester, and I haven’t gotten three Bs in such a long time. I feel like I’m not a straight A student anymore, I completely gave that up. I used to check plus-portals every day and now I don’t even look at it. I just don’t care.”

Most seniors diagnosed with senioritis have absolutely no concern about their grades. Once they’ve gotten into the college of their choice, it’s like the they turn off their brain until May 21st. Sasha Kuntz elaborates on how she used to go home and immediately do her homework, but once she got into college she’s begun to procrastinate until the very last minute. 

“I am almost not concerned at all about my grades. I know that if I put minimum effort, I’ll pass. But I don’t, and that’s just how little I care.”

It felt necessary to get some input from the teachers regarding senioritis. Mr. Fernandez, who teaches English IV Honors, noticed that some of his seniors have become lazier than they once were. 

“Senioritis is a horrible disease and if not treated it can have a serious effect on the classroom dynamic. Classic symptoms include falling asleep in class, long trips to the bathroom, frequent visits to the vending machine. It’s terrible.”

Mrs. Santana, who teaches Anatomy and Physiology Honors, notes that her seniors’ work has become a little sluggish and their motivation has decreased significantly. She elaborates on how it takes a lot more to get her students excited, so she saves the dissections and fun activities for the 2nd semester in order to keep them engaged. She explains on how she deals with the situation.

“I have them start homework in class, rather than, you know, teach all the way to the end and then expect them to start something at home. Sometimes getting it started in class let’s them finish it before they leave, so it’s all taken care of.”

Overall, senioritis is a disease that is highly contagious. For every five seniors, at least one will show symptoms of senioritis. If it sounds like you have senioritis, be wary because the symptoms will worsen as time goes by. I have senioritis, how about you?