ILS Sailing Team Takes Home Another Win In Jensen Beach

Holland Ramos, Writer

Immaculata-La Salle’s Sailing team is brings home first place from sailing regatta held in Jensen Beach.

On April 24th, six members on the Immaculata-La Salle sailing team headed over to the US sailing center in Martin County for a race. ILS dominated the 15-school varsity regatta from the beginning and won the event with just 29 total points over 12 races.

In windy conditions with chop and winds building to 20 knots, Division A was skippered by Justin Callahan and Division B was skippered by Mitchell Callahan with junior Brianna Ross and sophomore Danny Riano as crew. 

Winning 3 of their 6 races with two second place finishes and one 3rd place finish, the ILS B boat won B Division easily with just 10 total points. The A division boat won 2 of its 6 races finishing with 19 points in its 6 races. The A boat successfully defended two protests put forth by Ransom Everglades which lasted hours after racing concluded. ILS competed against 15 other teams during each race.

“Although the heavy winds made the races 5 times harder, I’m very proud of the team for pulling through and working really hard,” said sophomore Danny Riano.

This weekend, the team will compete in team racing SAISA district championships which will be held at Ransom Everglades. The top two team race finishers from the event earn the right to compete at ISSA Team Race Nationals. 

The following weekend (May 8- 9) the team will compete with other qualifying schools for the SAISA district championship where the top three finishers qualify to compete at ISSA Nationals in Ohio in early June.