Unity in Salesian Youth: On Zoom with the World

Antonella Velasquez, Editor-in-Chief

The COVID 19 limitations did not stop the Salesian family at ILS from uniting and meeting internationally with many different schools to express what being Salesian means to them.  

Saturday, September 25, a few students from ILS met on Zoom with young people all over the United States as well as from Canada, Great Britain, South Africa and much more. The group from ILS met in the Student Learning Center with the Salesian sisters. 

“It was a beautiful experience for the worldwide Salesian Family!” said Sister Katie Flanagan, FMA, one of the event organizers. 

Sister Katie and other members explained that this activity gave the students a chance to learn more about their faith as well as feel closer to God.

In the youth summit promo video, one international participant ex claimed, “Being Salesian brings a sense of community where I can always have a place to call home, a second family that loves to have fun where I can know that there’s someone watching out for me and caring for me.” 

Seven ILS students joined over 100 young people and Sisters  for an Interprovincial Youth Summit. The youth  participants  listened to messages from Sisters in different parts of the world, and even received a special greeting from Mother Yvonne Reungoat, who is Mother General of the Salesian Sisters.

They were able to play games, activities, share reflections on the Salesian charism, and learn how other young people live their faith.

Sister Myriam Meus, FMA a new teacher at ILS, participated in the event.

“ I enjoyed the experience very  much. I was really touched at seeing how widespread is our Salesian charism. Seeing young people from different parts of the world coming together to speak about their experience has given me great hope for the future,” she said.

An amazing religious opportunity nonetheless but why is it important?

“I think it is important for young people to feel that they belong to something that is bigger than themselves… The summit has given them the opportunity to realize that being part of the Salesian family is partaking in a worldwide community. I am hoping that this summit is the beginning of an enriching experience for the young people as well as those who organize it, said Sister Meus.

Youth summit on Zoom (Sister Katie Flanagan, FMA)