A Eucharistic Tradition: Monday Adoration at ILS

A+poster+set+up+right+outside+the+chapel%2C+to+make+staff+and+students+aware+of+the+tradition+unfolding+behind+the+door.+

Danna Chalela

A poster set up right outside the chapel, to make staff and students aware of the tradition unfolding behind the door.

Danna Chalela, Arts Editor

A student visits the ILS chapel. Photo by Victoria Betancourt

Adoration, in general, is defined as a deep love or respect for something. In reference to the Catholic faith, the definition remains relatively the same. Adoration is a Catholic Eucharist tradition in which Catholics could worship the Eucharist outside of Mass, typically in a chapel. It is a time to silently connect with God as well as a sign of devotion and deep love for Him. 

The Catholic Church describes Adoration as, “the first attitude of man acknowledging that he is a creature before his Creator. (Adoration) exalts the greatness of the Lord who made us and the almighty power of the Savior who sets us free from evil. Adoration is an homage of the spirit to the “King of Glory,” respectful silence in the presence of the ever-greater God.” (CCC 2628)

ILS offers a period of adoration every Monday after school. Sister Katie Flanagan, FMA is directly involved with Monday adoration.

“People can come for the whole time, or just stop in for a few minutes before they leave or go to practice or meetings,” she began. “We also play some awesome Jesus jams.”

A sign propped up on the door of the ILS chapel, features information about adoration and a quote by St. Mary Mazzarello. (Danna Chalela)

The chapel sees students and teachers alike as soon as adoration begins. There’s a silence that fills the room, only accompanied by the gentle music playing, and the sound of the door creaking as people enter or exit the room. While some people only stop by briefly, others remain seated at the chapel for the entire half-hour that adoration is hosted. 

While it is a short moment, it is one that many rely on to let go of their built-up stress or anxiety.

“It is a great way to decompress from the day, connect with God, and lay all your worries at His feet,” said Sr. Katie. “Everyone who attends leaves feeling peaceful and refreshed.”

Mercy Cabrera, an ILS junior, is one of the students who regularly attends adoration, and serves as the Chaplin of the Drama Club. 

“The reason why I go to adoration is because it calms me down and helps me relieve my stress,” said Cabrera. “I also like adoration because I feel like I’m getting closer to Jesus.”

Adoration is a way to tranquilize after the rush of a Monday. To attend, visit the chapel located at the end of the first floor of ILS’ Main Building. For more information, reach out to Sr. Katie at srkflanagan@ilsroyals.com