Kayaking to Connect Four: Wellness Day at ILS

Daniella Jansen, Writer

Getting away from the everyday stress of tests, deadlines, and social pressures by taking a mental health day from school is a chance for students to reset their nervous system. Wellness Day at ILS served to do just this by providing a time for recharging.

“I loved wellness day! Its crucial to have days where we are able to take a break from the intense stress of school and just have fun, even if it’s only for an hour. In my opinion, we should have a wellness day every month,” said senior Gabriela Garcia.

Thanks to the Athletic department which hosted it, students were able to engage in a variety of events and games led by ILS teachers and coaches. In the gym, students could choose either volleyball or basketball.

“Wellness day was great. I was so glad to have the opportunity to go kayaking. It really helped me enjoy my day a lot more,” said senior Katrina Diaz-Balart.

Football, soccer, and kickball were available outside on the field. In addition to these outdoor activities, Mu Alpha Theta tutoring, Robotics, Art Room, Band, Board Games in the SLC and Kayaking on the Bay were other options.

“I kayaked for Wellness Day and I had an amazing time. Connecting with nature is a great way to relax, breathe, and take my mind off school, college applications, and studying for the SAT,”  said senior Amy Lam.

Wellness Day did gave students an opportunity to relieve some stress, and spend some quality time with classmates.