Where ILS Got its Name

Penelope Martinez, Entertainment Editor

Have you ever wondered where our school got its name?

Venerable Brother Victorino De La Salle was born in Onzilhon, France on September 7, 1885.

He was baptized that same day as Augustin Arnaud. He first studied at the French school in his hometown then later continued at another of the De La Salle schools located in a nearby town where he received his First Communion. In 1901, he entered the Novitiate of the De La Salle Brothers where he began his formation and received his new name that would be with him for his religious life: Nymphas Victorin.

At 19, he obtained the title of Teacher Normalist, which began his career in teaching.

In 1904, the anticlerical laws enacted in France led to his transfer to Canada where he volunteered to travel to Cuba. He was part of the group of De La Salle Brothers who made a first foundation in Havana in 1905. He then made his perpetual vows in 1913. By the time they left Cuba, they had 10 colleges and a Catholic university which had been founded in 1957. It was the first Lasallian University in Latin America with a total of more than 6,000 students. After a journey which took him to Canada, New York, and Miami, Venerable Brother Victorino De La Salle settled in Puerto Rico. There he celebrated the 50th anniversary of his Perpetual Profession in 1963. He died April 16, 1966, in Bayamón, Puerto Rico, and his tomb is located in the De La Salle Brothers pantheon at the Porta Coeli Cemetery.