Community College Might Be Best For You

Maria Ignacia Cadenas

Many seniors are wondering where they should complete their four-year degree.

Holland Ramos, Editor in Chief

Twelve years of school, twelve years of excessive hours spent studying, planning your future, saving money, and one year spent applying to colleges. The end goal for most is an acceptance letter from the highest ranked university you can get into. With all of the pressure to graduate from a prestigious university, community college is looked down upon and seen as failure.

From as early as middle school, students are spoon fed the idea that going to a prestigious four-year school is the end- all-be-all by parents, teachers, and school administrators. This idea often states that in order to end up in a stable place and achieve a good job after college, community college should be avoided. Teenagers are put on a pedestal based on the university they attend. 

Many students are fixated on the mindset that community colleges don’t compare to a four-year university because of the alleged lower quality in education, easier access, and low cost.  Students believe they are too good for community college, or they could never attend there because their parents expect better or their peers will judge them. 

Across the country, community colleges are facing challenges including declining enrollment, and decreased state support. Gaining a deeper understanding of the community college stigma provides an opportunity to combat it and attract more students.

ILS happens to be neighbors with the nation’s most diverse institution, Miami Dade College, allowing students to build unique connections they wouldn’t find anywhere else. MDC offers flexibility within schedules, ideal for students who want to get a head start in their career to plan around their day. 

Miami Dade College is also equipped with the latest technologies, which makes teaching and student resources modern and high quality.

“I actually have considered going to Miami Dade Community College in order to save money and have more time to figure out what I want to do rather than paying almost 50k at a four-year university. Every time I tell someone that I might do this, I get a, ‘Oh, that’s ok. Don’t feel bad about it,’ as if it is something to be ashamed about. Getting rid of the stigma would make a lot more students realize it’s a good option to have,” said senior Nicholas Pinzon.

Price wise, universities, both private and public are very expensive.  The median in-state tuition in Florida for community college is $2,580, whereas for universities, the average in-state tuition is $14,700. Financial problems are one  of the leading causes for students dropping out. The average student debt in Florida is estimated to be $37,352. While attending high profile colleges is commendable, they often leave people taking almost 20 years to pay off their student loans. Community college is a fraction of the cost of a university. 

“My high school years were spent studying and stressing over college. I ended up at The Honors College which I couldn’t be happier about. This gave me a  chance to save money and also transfer into a university that I really want to go to rather than settling. Being close to home allowed me to have an easy transition to college but also have the support from family I felt I needed,” said alumna Beatrice Diez ‘21.

Education is not a one-size-fits-all solution as every student’s wants and needs are unique. When we look down on community college, we look down on a student’s experience.  At the end of the day ,it’s not about where you go to school, it’s about the education and experiences you receive.

Senior Angelina Cabrera announced she will be attending Miami Dade Community College