Do Your SAT Scores Define You?

Some+students+feel+anxious+when+receiving+the+notification+that+their+scores+are+ready.+Some+don%E2%80%99t+even+check+at+all.+

Photo Illustration: Jadilah Fernandez

Some students feel anxious when receiving the notification that their scores are ready. Some don’t even check at all.

Jadilah Fernandez, Executive Editor

Since many juniors took their SAT during March, scores have come out resulting with scores who are unhappy with their results.

Some did relatively worse than how they did previously, while others slightly improved. Some are even embarrassed to say their score, thinking they did horribly, and ultimately thinking that they’re not smart enough.

I’ve heard the phrase, “Bubble in your responses with a #2 pencil” about 10 times. I’ve felt PSAT/SAT/ACT anxiety many times. This process starts by waking up early in the morning, going to your testing center, and taking a test that’s more than three hours long.

After taking it, you feel relief, knowing that you did your best. However, you later receive your scores and the results don’t meet what you expected them to be. The protocols of these standardized tests indicate a sense of seriousness, which has been told to high school students many, many times.

To analyze the basics, these standardized tests are realized in order for teachers to really see a student’s potential. They’re used to evaluate students for specific reasons. However, it is evident that using these tests to determine and see the future of a student’s academic life/courses isn’t really fair-minded for every single student.

The ACT president, Jon Erickson, said himself, “Relax. Tests don’t define us, nor do they determine our future.”

This creates an emphasis on the fact that some students do amazing in these types of tests, while others find them stressful and overwhelming. These tests just reflect your understanding of material to date. You don’t need a 34 on the ACT to have an amazing future, and you certainly don’t need a 1500 on your SAT to be successful.

The word “achievement” or “success” isn’t necessarily related to having perfect grades, a perfect GPA, or outstanding test scores. Many colleges look at your test scores, while others don’t. However, none of these factors measure a person’s good heart, values, or even motivation.

These standardized tests are known for determining whether you will get into the college of your dreams and even the classes you want to take before you graduate. Endless amounts of students feel an insane amount of pressure with school itself. But, your grades don’t equate to the success you will hold in your life or how smart you are.

When you doubt your potential to succeed, and get frustrated because of your grades, don’t let that take over you.

At the end of the day, your test scores don’t define you. Make the best out of your results. Whether you did “horribly” or “not great,” use that as a motivational tool.

Push yourself to do the best you can, and be satisfied with it. Observe your scores and grades with a different viewpoint.

Instead of being so hard on yourself, embrace them.