May is the Best Month

Gabriela Pinate

One of the many orchids dotting Miami. Flowers like orchids symbolize the month which is redolent with budding plant life.

Gabriela Pinate, Writer

May is the fifth month of the year.

My favorite thing about May is that it’s almost summer.

— Miguel Suarez Cabal

Some say May got its name after Maia, the Roman Goddess.

Maia, out of the Pleiades is the eldest.

Near the peaks of Mount Kyllene, Maia would be alone in her cave, since she was shy

Then later in Arkadia she gave birth to her son Hermes, in secret

Source:https://www.theoi.com/Nymphe/NympheMaia.html

In May people all around the world celebrate many things including Mothers’s Day and Cinco de Mayo .

What makes May better than the other months?

Well, for one thing, summer is around the corner.

May, unlike other months is more calming and relaxing.

— Diana Guevara

Here are somethings many people in the world celebrate during the month of May.

May 5: Cinco de Mayo is a Mexican holiday to celebrate the victory against the French army. Many people think it’s Mexico’s Independence Day, but it’s not.

May 14: Mother’s Day is the day to appreciate and acknowledge everything mothers do for their children, so make sure you show your mom how much you love her.

May 29: Memorial Day is about honoring those who lost their lives trying to protect the nation. On this day, schools are closed so everyone can thank and remember those lives that were lost. As a sign, the flag is flown in remembrance.

May is the season between spring ending and summer beginning, meaning, that in some parts of the U.S., it can still be a bit chilly (Almanac.com).

“May is a month full of emotions, whether it’s because the school year is almost done or because summer is near,” said senior Angie Cabrera.

Other than the seniors graduating, and having to take final exams, Angie also thinks of it as a time of happiness as summer beckons.

Angie loves to go to the pool during May since the water is mostly cold.

“May is a fresh start, getting ready for the heat of summer and the periods of blissful summer rain,” said sophomore Diana Guevara

Diana plans to go to attend fun concerts with friends and play her guitar more often.

Her favorite thing to do in May is sit out on the balcony of her room watching cars, and drawing while taking in the sunshine.

Yet, for others, the month lacks any particular significance.

“May means nothing special to me,” said sophomore Miguel Suarez Cabal.

May is different because we are so excited for summer.

— Angie Cabrera