How Much do your Parents’ Actions/Words Impact You?

Part 1 of 3
A mother and daughter embrace in a hug, a physical manifestation that  exemplifies the warmth of their relationship.
A mother and daughter embrace in a hug, a physical manifestation that exemplifies the warmth of their relationship.
Ramon Lanza

The relationships and bonds created while you are maturing are critically impactful on the type of person you grow to become and truly have life altering effects, causing some people to either flourish or struggle in the future. These relationships begin at the home and extend towards school, sports, and any other pastime a student engages, creating life-long repercussions, positive or negative.

Beginning at the home, parents and siblings occupy the immediate family and instantly become everyone’s first relationships. They initially set the boundaries and understanding of how to properly interact and respond to others by being an example.

“The way you behave and communicate with other people – for example, your partner, family members, friends and carers – shows your child how to be and behave with others,” according to the site, raisingchildren.net.au.

The ideal household provides comfort, support, love, discipline, and authority. These elements allow the child to grow in a healthy environment where they don’t feel oppressed while also comprehending the rights and wrongs of their actions.

“This type of parent normally develops a close, nurturing relationship with their children. They have clear guidelines for their expectations and explain their reasons associated with disciplinary actions,” so states the site www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov shares.

Given the variety of home atmospheres surrounding children throughout their upbringing, the different parenting styles have vast impacts upon them, affecting their future platonic or romantic relationships, academic excellence, mental health, and response to situations life throws at them.

“1. Parenting styles can play a part in academic achievement and motivation. 2. Parenting styles can also influence children’s mental well-being. 3. Parenting styles can impact how kids relate to other people,” as evidenced in research highlighted at verywellmind.com.

As shocking as it sounds, the results of poor parenting are the root of many underlying issues in people today. These consist, but are not limited to:

“Negative self-perception and low self-esteem, control issues, such as pushing limits and boundaries to see what they can get away with, relationship troubles, depression, anxiety, and aggression,”  according to wow.healthline.com and psychcentral.com.

Optimistically, parenting can result in an abundance of good habits and traits, helping people succeed in life to build strong foundations within themselves.

“Kids raised by authoritative parents are more likely to become independent, self-reliant, socially accepted, academically successful, and well-behaved. They are also less likely to report depression and anxiety, and less likely to engage in antisocial behavior like delinquency and drug use,” expresses the site parenting science.com.

At ILS, students have observed the effects of their parents’ actions on their personality and philosophy.

“My parents’ supportive comments concerning my academics and extra-curriculars truly motivates me to accomplish my tasks and achieve more,” said junior Gina Weinstein.

Additionally, it is widely known that placing trust in children and encouraging them to partake in some experiences alone assists them in gaining independence.

“With my parents allowing me certain privileges like having a car and driving myself, they have enabled me to become a more independent person,” said junior Alina Figueroa.

When asked if being nurtured as well as assertively disciplined throughout childhood had any effects on her, Alina was reflective.

I feel comfortable talking to my parents about personal situations and trust they will provide sound advice because of those reasons

— Alina Figueroa

,”

$0
$500