Gone But Never Forgotten: Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.’s Family

Part 2 of 3
This collage illustrates a sampling of photos of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and his family.
Brecelis Valdes

Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr’s family does a lot more than just carry his last name. They work relentlessly to keep his legacy alive for everyone. They’ve accomplished much more than what Dr. King could’ve ever imagined. They’ve not only made his dream about civil rights realized, but also continue to battle new societal issues faced today.

Dr. King was much more than just a civil rights movement leader. He had a wife and children, having married the love of his life, Coretta Scott King, in 1953. They met while both were in college. She was attending the New England Conservatory and he was at Boston University. Coretta Scott was at first not dazzled by Dr. King.

Luckily for Coretta Scott, she go to know him more and she said, “The longer we talked, the taller he grew in stature and the more mature he became in my eyes.”

As they grew older they began a family and had four children; Martin Luther the Third, Dexter, Yolanda, and Bernice. They grew up to be wonderful individuals, never forgetting their father’s everlasting accomplishments.

Martin Luther King the Third is the oldest son and was only 10 when his father was assassinated. He shares many great qualities like his father, has been a great mediator in times of political chaos. He often speaks out in support of others who protest racial injustice.

”I’ve heard a few of his talks and I think it’s interesting how much he looks and acts like his dad,” said sophomore Sofia Dean.

Dexter King studied business just like his father at Morehouse College. He later became CEO of the King Center for Nonviolent Social Change. Throughout his life, he suffered various medical issues and succumbed to them at the young age of 62.

Yolanda King, the eldest daughter, branched off from her father’s legacy to find success as an actress. She played Rosa Parks in the 1978 film titled King. She passed away at the young age of 51 due to a heart attack.

Lastly, Bernice King, the youngest, was only five at the time of her father’s death. She has dedicated her life to keeping her father’s legacy alive. She often remarks how her father’s accomplishments were driven by the help of her mother.

”I’ve seen pictures of Dr. King and his wife and they seemed so happy together. I love how much they supported each other,” said Sophomore Karina Holcombe.

Bernice King, like her father, became a minister. At 61, she lives in Atlanta where she currently serves as CEO of the King Center for Nonviolent Social Change.

$0
$500