How Do Catholic Schools Serve Students?

Top Three Reasons Why Catholic Schools Offer Value
Students attend mass and interacting with the priest a visiting priest.
Immaculata-La Salle Instagram

The idea of a school centered around core values of Catholicism is appealing for many students. Moreover, the education at Catholic schools goes beyond just academics. Below are some of the ways Catholic schools serve students.

Education

Catholic schools are renowned for their emphasis on academic success, offering more freedom when it comes to curriculum (unlike public schools). The former are not required to follow them exactly due to state and federal laws. Consequently, students may focus more on learning things that genuinely interest them. In addition, 62% of Catholic school students go on to earn a bachelor’s degree, in contrast to 31% of public school students. These institutions teach students more than just academics.

Values-Based teaching and Community

Centered around faith, Catholic schools instill moral values in students which they might not learn elsewhere. By teaching students Christian core values such as love, generosity, responsibility, and self discipline, these schools help them not only grow intellectually but also spiritually and emotionally.

“Catholic schools like this one enhance students’ knowledge, explore their passions, create community, strengthen their sense of self and come to know God all in one place.” said Mrs. Mavelys De la Rosa, a Spanish teacher at ILS.

Service Mindset

Since Catholic schools reflect the Catholic Church, they are very big on serving others in need. One of the seven Catholic Social Teaching principles is Option for the Poor and Vulnerable. Catholic schools exercise service acts as part of their curriculum and thus leave students valuing empathy for their peers as well as for volunteering.

“My parents aren’t even religious, but I am, and with the school being Catholic, I found a sense of belonging into Christianity that I always longed for. Feeling connected to God has helped me with self identity so much,” said junior Alyssa Grace.

Finally, another notable way that Catholic schools serve students is the student-to-teacher ratio. Catholic schools are often much smaller than public or bigger private schools, which helps meet students’ individual needs whether they be emotional or academic.

$0
$500