The Abuelos Foundation logo highlights their mission to bring the young and the old together. Art courtesy nonprofit president, Bryan Ferreiro
Abuelos Foundation

The Abuelos Foundation

Bringing Together the Young and Elderly

Growing up means taking time to look back to those who have helped you on your road in life. Many teens all around the world have had the influence of their grandparents to give them a helping hand. Knowing that it is important to cherish elders, and ensure that they know you are grateful for them. 

Recognizing the importance of senior citizens, in the heart of the Miami community lies the Abuelos Foundation: a beacon of service and union between all people, both young and old. With a focus and passion on connecting with the abuelos (grandparents) of the community. Their mission is simple yet profound; “to assist senior citizens and also offer them compassion by providing them with services, cost-saving, beautifying and modern home improvements, as well as advocating for their needs before local governments, while also introducing youths to seniors’ needs, expanding their leadership skills, and increasing their appreciation for public service,” said Abuelos Foundation Youth Board President, Bryan Ferreiro. 

Once Bryan joined the Abuelos Foundation, he never once looked back. For him, the foundation is like “a day-to-day privilege,” Bryan explained when and why he joined the foundation.

“Getting involved with the Abuelos Foundation was a no-brainer. Constantly being involved amongst community service my entire childhood, leading an organization was something on my bucket list. For me, serving with the Abuelos Foundation hits close to home. Back in 2017, I lost my grandfather on the night of my 13th birthday as a result of a stroke which left his entire left side practically paralyzed. Throughout my time with this foundation, I have had the opportunity to bring the connection in which I wish I once had with my grandfather, except I’ve created it amongst the elderly we serve. It’s because of that for which I serve with the Abuelos Foundation today,” he said.

The impact the Abuelos Foundation leaves on its members is one that cannot be overlooked. Shaping these unique and individual relationships with the elderly can truly be formative for a person, and shape them into who they are and who they will become. 

The people behind the Abuelos Foundation create events and donation drives. The donations are dispersed throughout events, which allow them to give to more elderly in the community. 

Chair of the ILS chapter, Miranda Dunbar, explains the most recent Abuelos Foundation event.

“We were part of was a 5K run supporting CEMEX. I brought along a couple of my friends to support the foundation. It was extremely fun and it was great seeing everyone support such an amazing cause.” 

The Abuelos Foundation stands out above the rest thanks to its unique collaborative efforts and financial strategies, the significant role of partnerships with local and global businesses in fundraising endeavors, and the fact that the foundation is fully student run.

“Throughout our organization we have had the honor of working with multiple local and global companies and restaurants to host fundraisers through which we collect funds for our future events,” explained Bryan.

Bryan went on to discuss the value of it being a fully student-run foundation, and the resilience and dedication that comes with that. 

“Being a completely student-led non-profit organization, most of the budget comes from our own pockets. As a result, we have raised over $2,500 with the help of our incredible board. Slowly we are working to bring more fundraising opportunities such as the brand new Abuelos Foundation Merchandise Line. With the help of our community so much can be done,” he added,

Donations Director of the Abuelos Foundation, Carolina Lorenzo, explains what she does on a daily basis with the foundation to ensure that all events are set up and ready to go.

“As donations director, my role is to introduce new ways of improving our fundraising capabilities, as we are a nonprofit organization,” said Carolina.

She also continues to explain how she partners with the fundraising director, Nicole Schneider, on how they can better improve their events. 

“Along with the fundraising director, I share these new ways of approach with the board, so that we can integrate them within the events and fundraisers,” she added.

There are a multitude of ways you can get involved with the Abuelos Foundation. (All information can be found on abuelosfoundation.org under the “get involved” tab)

1. Join the volunteer WhatsApp chat: This group chat provides priority access to the foundation’s upcoming events and informs of any volunteer opportunities.
  2. Find a local chapter/club near you: If you are interested in volunteering beyond monthly events, join an Abuelos Foundation chapter near you to get direct access to weekly events.
  3. Visit the Abuelos Foundation website: The website provides easy navigation and clearly displays all the information needed to learn or get involved with the foundation.
$0
$500