On Campus Confessions with Father Jesus

Use the Confessions app to schedule time with Father Jesus.

Paola Rodriguez, Writer

The Catholic faith is a huge part of ILS. This year, Immaculata-LaSalle welcomed a new priest, alumni Father Jesus, who is offering the Sacrament of Reconciliation for students and teachers throughout the school day. 

The Sacrament of Reconciliation, also known as Confession, is one of the Sacraments of Healing. When you confess, you take responsibility for your sins, and the priest acts as the messenger between the person confessing and God. 

It is a beautiful experience and allows people to have a fresh start, move on, and learn to be a better version of themselves. 

This new addition to ILS has been a great contribution. Especially since most students are packed with homework, sports, and other personal things after school and on the weekend. They usually do not have time, or make time to go to Confession. 

Having this opportunity at school has opened up many advantages for students, and doesn’t take too much time out of their lives. 

“I loved it,” said junior class president Sofia Farres. “I think Father Jesus is really awesome and the Sacrament of Confession is one of my favorites because it helps me humble myself and it helps me move on and become a better person.”

Father Jesus has recently joined Saint Kieran as pastor, and as such, has also the ILS family. Students are not the only ones exposed to this privilege. The faculty have also taken this opportunity to attend Confession. 

Mrs. Beltran, director of Campus Ministry, has recently received a lot of positive feedback. 

“Yes, it’s a positive addition because it’s a serving reminder that we are much more than the sum of our mistakes and reconciliation does that for us. We can look at ourselves in the mirror and be like, I’m confident because I know that God loves me,” said Mrs. Beltran.

According to students and faculty, Father Jesus has a certain approach that touches others, and helps them move on from their mistakes, whereas some priests just tell you to go pray a specific prayer. Students have also mentioned how they do not feel judged when they confess. 

“He just has a way of being able to tell you—be practical with whatever it is that God is requesting of you, and so it’s not just about go pray this. Pray this but also do this. There’s an action component which is important,” Mrs. Beltran, Campus Ministry. 

There are many students that are still skeptical about confessions, but it can be assured that it’s a great experience.