Preparing for the SAT: Juniors Edition

PSAT October 14 for juniors

PSAT October 14 for juniors

Noor Andre, Editor

On Wednesday, October 14th, all ILS juniors will take the PSAT administered on campus.    The junior class will be the only class on campus that day and they will be following all social distance and safety protocols.

The PSAT/NMSQT is a practice version of the SAT exam. It prepares students and allows them to practice for the actual SAT.

Once students receive their score reports, they will be able to see what their strengths and weaknesses are and what they need to focus on to better prepare for the SAT.  PSAT scores are used to identify National Merit Scholars and award merit scholarships. PSAT scores are also used for placement at ILS. 

The junior class guidance counselor, Marcela Aguilar, recommends that all students get a good night’s rest and try their best on the test. It is important for the juniors to try their best so they are placed in the correct classes their senior year. 

“I have been preparing on khan academy and strive to get a good/high score so I can be placed in honors classes next year,” says Nayla Andre. 

Juniors are required to come to school and take this test, not being present will result in an unexcused absence. The student’s 12th grade placement may also be affected if not taken. No make-up test will be available. 

The test will not be administered online, it will be a paper and pencil test. The required materials are: #2 pencils which cannot be shared and a calculator. 

Dismissal will be at 12:00 PM, following the test, the juniors will take their pictures for picture day and a grab-go lunch will be available to them. 

Good luck Juniors!