ILS Cheer Wins National Championship!

Victoria Betancourt, Writer

The ILS Cheer team ended their season with grand new accomplishment: becoming UCA National Champions! 

The news came on Friday, April 23 over a month after filming their routine. Their goal for the season was already met by making it to finals, but they went for the gold and won their division virtually. Due to COVID-19 concerns, ILS and other teams participated in this year’s High School Nationals remotely by submitting their best possible performances on video ahead of time.

They competed in the Super Varsity non-tumbling division virtually, not being able to compete in person at the Walt Disney World Resort in Orlando this year. However, the set back didn’t stop them. 

They worked endlessly to get the best video for submission, doing their routine seven times in one practice. At the end they were able to get an almost perfect video, only getting two points in deductions for minor issues. 

“We were super confident in our routine and it was awesome how it all came together,” said team captain, senior Sofia Peñas in an interview with the Miami Herald. 

“It was such a surreal moment because we worked so hard this season especially with COVID and so many challenges,” said Penas. “We were huddled up together, staring at the jumbotron in our gym, holding hands, all excited. When they announced second place and they still hadn’t called our name, we started screaming. Some of the girls threw themselves on the floor. It was crazy.”

The team got a final score of 75.2 while their competition, Rosemount High School, got a score of 65.25. 

“We saw the rankings and we were in first, we were like ‘What?!’” said head coach Coral Buxeda in the same interview. Last season, ILS placed 10th in Nationals.

The reason this is such a big accomplishment is because this is the first time in history that a team from South Florida won UCA Nationals. 

“We are beyond proud of the Historic and Amazing run this cheerleading team has had,” said ILS Athletic Director Nick Fernandez. “Over the past three years, the team continues to work harder and get better and better. After falling short three years ago, the team got to work and didn’t stop, culminating in the team’s first ever State championship last year!

“With the entire team coming back, including nine senior leaders, the team got back to the grind. Even with a pandemic, shortened practices and their backs against the wall, the team found a way to make history again, going BACK-to-BACK winning another state championship! But that wasn’t enough for them,” Fernandez continued.

“They had one last opportunity to make more history and win a National championship, and they did just that!” Fernandez said. “Now they aren’t just State Champs but are Immaculata-La Salle National Cheerleading Champions!”

Miami Mayor Francis Suarez, an ILS alumni himself, will also be visiting the team after school on May 7th to congratulate them on their latest achievement. 

The girls now await their UCA Nationals trophy, coveted white jacket, and two championship rings; one being from their second State Championship. This truly has been an incredible season for the Lady Royal Lions and they can’t wait for what’s next.