AP Students Staying After School and on Saturdays to Prepare for Exams

AP+Government+students+snapping+a+quick+selfie+before+a+review.+

AP Government students snapping a quick selfie before a review.

Lauren Fernández, Writer

Throughout the second semester, many AP students have attended after school and Saturday review sessions to prepare for their finals and exams. The review sessions allow students to ask questions on topics they haven’t mastered yet and take practice tests to acquaint themselves with the timing and material.  

While some of the review sessions are considered optional, students are highly encouraged to attend. Mr. Vila, the AP Calculus teacher at ILS, holds after school reviews on day 2s from 1:15 to about 3 p.m. in his classroom and on Zoom. “I want them to take away a feeling of confidence and that they are in a better place with the material,” Vila mentioned. 

Ms. de la Guardia holds AP Government review sessions on Saturday mornings from 8 a.m. to 11 a.m. in the SLC at La Salle. Many high schoolers enjoy their Saturday mornings by catching up on sleep, so de la Guardia brings donuts, pastries, juices, and coffee for her students to enjoy as a reward for putting in the extra effort.

If students cannot attend in-person, they can Zoom in and attend from home. Review session etiquette is not as formal as that in school, allowing for a more laid back experience. Basic politeness (i.e. raising of hands, minimal side conversations, etc.) is still practiced. 

Many have noticed the confidence and clarity they’ve gained from going the extra mile in their studies. “Overall the response is pretty positive. There are definitely some stressed and tired faces… but they know that it is helping them to achieve their goal,” said Vila. Senior Isabella Juara agreed saying, “review sessions have helped me remember some of the older material from the class that we have covered.” 

Exams are taking place throughout the month of May. The schedule is as follows:

• AP U.S. Government— May 3
  • AP Calculus AB and BC— May 4
  • AP English Literature— May 5
  • AP Spanish Literature— May 7
  • AP French Language— May 10
  • AP Macroeconomics— May 10
  • AP Spanish Language— May 11
  • AP English Language— May 12
  • AP Biology— May 14
  • AP Environmental Science— May 14
  • AP Research— May 17
  • AP European History— May 19
  • AP U.S. History— May 19
  • AP Chemistry— May 25
  • AP Seminar— May 26

One of the keys to scoring high on exams is confidence, and review sessions provide the space to gain it. ‘Senioritis’ and pre-summer jitters haven’t gotten in the way of AP students finishing the year strong, and their attendance and diligence is a testament to that!