Dear Evan Hansen Movie Review: A New Hit in Theaters

Dear Evan Hansen movie cover, which depicts Platt with the iconic cast on his arm.

Maya Martinez, News Editor

The film adaptation of Dear Evan Hansen, which talks about teen mental health, is a must-watch movie which debuted in theaters Friday, September 24th. Originally a Broadway musical, it became extremely famous since it premiere July 2015. Many students at ILS can relate to some of the events and lessons that take place in the movie, since they, like the characters, face the trials of high school everyday.

Ben Platt, the original cast member for Evan on Broadway is also playing the same role in the film. Some had harsh criticisms of this, though, since Platt is 28 and Evan is 17-18 years old. He still did an amazing job of playing Hansen, because of his spectacular acting and singing abilities. He was a great choice, as Evan was always his character.

The film has some noticeable changes from the play. For example, the movie portrays Evan in such a light that he seems more like a victim than someone who takes advantage of a grieving family. Even I could feel myself overlooking Evan’s mistakes and just feeling badly for him. In the musical, Evan has to confess to the world what he did to the Murphy’s. In the film, however, he only faces direct criticisms from Connor’s family. 

Even though it has some slight adjustments that are unpopular, at least on social media, the main message of the movie still sticks- you are not alone. It deals with mental health, specifically teenage, and facing the ups and downs of high school.  Director, Stephen Bschosky, does a brilliant job of portraying depression, insecurity, social anxiety, and grief. Amy Adams plays Connor and Zoe Murphy’s mom, as she shows her amazing acting skills as she believably conveys a grieving mom.

Another difference many viewers pointed out was that Connor Murphy was portrayed as more of a misunderstood kid. While this is true, in the musical, his character was more a mean bully who has anger issues. This is problematic because it’s not a true depiction of his character, although in some scenes Connor’s anger tantrums are alluded to. 

Overall, Dear Evan Hansen is an inspiring story of mental health, losing a family member, dealing with home life issues, and high school struggles. The acting and cinematography are spectacular, as well as the singing.