A New Year Tragedy

Jadilah Fernandez, Executive Editor

The state of Colorado has an abundance of wildlife and forests all around it, but in the blink of an eye part of it went up in flames. December 30th of 2021 was without a doubt an emotional roller coaster for several people in the state of Colorado. Tragically breaking down more than 900 homes and forcing citizens to evacuate, areas like Denver and Boulder were  damaged. It was reported that more than 30,000 people evacuated, including hospital patients with 6,000 acres of land on fire. Authorities mentioned on Friday these wildfires have thus far caused $513M in damage, and rising. 

What initiated this?

One of the main reasons why this fire even started in the first place was the amount of dryness along with the lack of precipitation in the area. The NWS Boulder office presented statistics on how the second half of 2021 (July 1 – December 29) was the driest time period in a while. Also, 90% of Boulder County was in severe drought during December, right before this phenomenon occurred. The drought was so severe, that plants were slowly dying as the flora vanished. 

Who was affected?

Not only did people lose their houses, but they lost their lives. Authorities reported that the remains of an adult were found near the fire and there was even a missing person. Pastor Bill Stephens and 17 members of his congregation lost their homes after this as well. 

Unfortunately, on Friday officers of Boulder county identified the human remains to be Robert Sharpe, a 69-year old-male.This fire is considered the most destructive in state history, considering all the homes that were burned, churches that were filled with smoke, and even citizens becoming homeless. 

“What a devastating situation; it’s crazy the amount of damage a small drought can cause,” mentioned sophomore Mariandrea Robelo.