Sophomore Encounter and Service Day!

Ana Castillo, Co-Editor-in-Chief

“An opportunity to gather as one and share our vision & goals as individuals and peers.” – Mrs. M Beltrán

The ILS campus ministry has gathered to create a special day for the sophomores to stretch out kindness to others and as a grade, to become a change agent, whether a student or educator, explore social justice, and use their knowledge to speak out against injustice in their community.

The sophomore encounter started off with a Mass, with humbling words from Father Jesus. This Mass was special to start off the students with a clear mindset towards the day up ahead. To reflect on their recent doings as individuals and use this to connect with others and themselves throughout the service activities, students were given colored wristbands and divided into groups for the upcoming activities, being able to meet and learn from those who weren’t well acquainted.

Heading off to the gym, playing four corners, red light, green light and lastly dividing into random groups to talk about their perspectives in friendships, sophomores enjoyed a full day. Student leaders even helped coordinate this event and added a significant addition towards inspiring the sophomores to start thinking about their futures.

The event was fulfilling since it gave me a relaxing day to meet new people in a different setting and just relax from all the stress I had that week. A good change.

— Jaden Johnson

Students were asked to bring materials to create service projects for those who are in need. Mrs. M Beltrán asked at the encounter their opinions on this activity. Some shared on how they are enlightened to be able to give hope to those in need so they are motivated to keep striving.

The activities rounded up to five stations, service gifts, bay cleaning, celebrating friendships, deep talks, and sports. This varied set gave everyone a chance to do a little bit of everything in order to build up to new traits and connect. Most of the favorites were the deep talks in which students felt comfortable to be able to speak up and share their personal stories. Another favorite was making unique friendship Valentine’s day cards for kids who needed to hear appreciation.

Sports and recess activities

It was a good time for the grade to get closer to each other. It was a fun time since last year we couldn’t do as much interaction due to COVID-19.”

— Hannah Brewster

Overall, it was an eventful day set to make the 10th graders become one. They were able to learn and possibly even teach valuable insights to others, setting themselves off to a new week with brand new beginnings!