Game On: Hoco Skits

Isabella Estrada, Writer

Class Skits is a day during Homecoming Week when students from each grade show their hard work in preparing the skit. It has to be based off their theme, and they also have to dress according to it. Students who want to participate in the skit must sign themselves up. 

The Class Skits took place in the gym during F-Block October 19th. Each grade theme was a different board game. Freshmen were Jumanji, sophomores were Monopoly, juniors were The Game of Life, and seniors were Candy-Land. Students dressed as jugglers, animals, rich men, prisoners, cops, soccer moms, candies, and so much more. The judges this year were Mrs. Milagros Beltran, Mr. Nicholas Shaheen, Sr. Miriam Meus, FMA, Mr. Nick Fernandez, and Mr. Julio Serrando.

They judged the skits based off:

1. Creativity
  2. Organization
  3. Entertainment
  4. School Spirit 
  5. Participation

The Freshman Skit:

They were the first to perform beginning with Mr. Andrew Shaheen, Dr. Cristina Lopez-Hernandez, and Mr. Martin Saavedra cleaning a desk where they found a Jumanji game. Once this happens they get transported into the Jumanji game. The freshmen participants went through two obstacles which were the sword fighters and the gorillas attacking them. They found the treasure to get out but the guide of Jumanji, Mr. Dave Schultz, told them they were stuck in there for four years, basically saying that they are stuck in high school for the next four years.

The Sophomore Skit:

The sophomores  started with four students deciding on which board game to play, and ended up choosing Monopoly, which is their class theme. They transported into the board game and their first stop was jail. Prisoners got out of jail and danced to “Jailhouse Rock” by Elvis Presley. The dance was choreographed by Natalie Martinez and Mia Niebruegge. 

“The dance was the best dance and the story I think was really solid,” said Mr. Tim Gamwell. 

Mr. Tim Gamwell was also part of the skit as the Monopoly Man. The four students went around all the Avenues trying to find a way out of the game. They got stopped by a Tax Collector which was Mr. Stanley Wexler. They finally got out of the game by winning a football game against the Monopoly Man. Mrs. Yvonne Alvarez, Mrs. Lianne Davila, and a student were the football players.   

The Junior Skit:

The Junior Skit began by acting out their freshman year with Zoom.  Ms. Kayla Gonzalez was part of the skit by being the teacher on Zoom telling the children to turn on their cameras. They then transition from freshman year to their sophomore year, complaining about how they lost Homecoming Week to the freshman last year. Mrs. Lianne Rodriguez appeared as did Mr. Andrew Shaheen.

They then go into their Junior year with the song “Cooler than Me.” They all have their car keys and phones acting “cool.” They quickly transition to act out how stressed they are for SATs and college applications, Ms. Dennise Leyva acted as one of the test proctors. They went into their future senior and displayed that they would win Homecoming next year and graduate. This goes with their theme The Game of Life because they do a recap of their high school life.

“I thought the junior skit was so cute and creative,” said by Ms. Maria Molina. 

The Senior Skit:

Candy-Land, started with students in Mr. Stanley Wexler’s class learning about the Hershey stock market and then being transported into Candy-Land. They get stopped by the Candy-Land security guard and who tells the students that the only way out of this game is by finding  the Homecoming Trophy. They must go through every land to find this trophy because it is lost. He warns them on how each land is wild and different.

Their first stop was the freshmen and they immediately got attacked by them. Sr. Katie Flanagan, FMA, was part of the skit by being the leader of the freshmen. Next was the sophomores. Mr. James Rydborn appeared in the skit and began to hand out demerits to sophomores who weren’t following the dress code. They then go to the juniors where Ms. Mavelys de La Rosa appeared as the Queen of Ice shouting where has the trophy gone. They then brought back their “One Direction” group from last year’s juniors skit.

They went into senior land and finally found the trophy. Sr. Kim Keraitis, FMA, and Principal, was the Queen of Candy-Land and graduates, the seniors were “Candy-Land Graduates.”

Freshmen came in fourth place and sophomores came in third. Now what you have been waiting for….  the winners of Hoco skits. Was it the seniors or juniors? Of course, the seniors won and juniors got second place.