Part 2: A Trip to The Big Apple

St.+John+Bosco+is+the+reason+for+why+our+students+are+having+the+privilege+to+participate+at+this+retreat%2C+a+retreat+that+is+based+on+all+of+his+central+ideas+for+youth+growing+their+faith.+

Photo Illustration Marcella Orlandini

St. John Bosco is the reason for why our students are having the privilege to participate at this retreat, a retreat that is based on all of his central ideas for youth growing their faith.

Marcella Orlandini, Writer

Last week a group of juniors, along with a few seniors as well, headed out to the ‘Salesian Leadership Retreat’ in New York. Also known as MLR (March Leadership Retreat). The students were accompanied by Sister Katie Flanagan, FMA, Mrs. Milagros Beltran, and Mr. Julio Soriano. This retreat is similar to the one that had occurred in October, with another group of students.

This retreat is organized by an association named Salesians of Don Bosco, Province of St. Philip. This is overall a worldwide community of brothers and priests, just like the oratory once founded many years ago by Saint John Bosco.

The mission of this organization is similar to St. John Bosco’s, and our school’s, vision–to preach and instruct young people, particularly those who are vulnerable and underprivileged.

Within this retreat, students are called to take part in the five points of youth spirituality:

Ordinary: A spirituality for ordinary life- primarily on the incarnation, learning how God encounters us in the course of daily life.

Joyful: A spirituality of joy and optimism- it is our responsibility to spread happiness and hope to others as we celebrate the presence of God’s love in our lives.

Friendship: A spirituality of friendship with Jesus- seeking an ever deepening relationship with Jesus, our friend, mentor, and Savior, who travels alongside us on each of our journeys hand-in-hand until the very end.

Communion: A spirituality of communion with the universal church as the Church serves as our place for growing in our faith through the word and sacraments while we learn to love others and live by it. Mary, who nurtures and inspires us, honorably crosses our paths.

Service: A spirituality of responsible service as everyday is entrusted to us as a place of service so that we can advance God’s kingdom in both typical and spectacular ways.