Online versus In person shopping can offer the consumer a variety of choices.
Online Vs. Shopping In Person
Daniela Beltran, Writer • May 1, 2024
Seniors Valentina Gonzalez,Isabella Brand, Antonella Velasquez, Mia Mena, Daniela Quirós, Miranda Dunbar, and Megan Dominguez pose for pictures before prom begins.
A Night to Remember
Antonella Velasquez, Editor-in-Chief • April 29, 2024
Alumna Ilen Perez-Valdes was recently recognized as a part of the Step Up alumni network.
Step Up Recognizes ILS Students
Mrs. Monica Orelle, Special Contributor • April 25, 2024
ILS Varsity Baseball team has been quite active for the 2024 season.
The ILS Varsity Baseball Team Defeated Dr Krop HS 8-2
Nick Fernandez, Hannah Brewster Sports Editor • April 25, 2024

China’s Laser Solution for Drowsy Driving

Aubree Arango
Flashing and color changing lasers on the China expressway.

Imagine driving late at night and boom you just get hit with multiple different colored lasers… Well yeah, China is doing this to help driver fatigue at night. The lasers are mounted on freeway signs and change between red, purple, blue, and green lights. These beams project across the sky and are mainly being tested on an expressway used by truck drivers. Although this might benefit some people, there is a lot of controversy behind it.

@dailymail Authorities in China have installed lasers on highways to stop drivers from falling asleep at the wheel #fyp #china #laser #rainbowroad #rave #mariokart #antisleep ♬ original sound – Daily Mail

This video went viral on multiple social media platforms and the feedback is quite overwhelming:  

“These laser lights designed to combat fatigue quickly revitalized him and reduced his exhaustion during a prolonged nighttime,” said the man who recorded the footage, Mr. Li.

“More of a reason to never drive at night with my astigmatism,” said a TikTok user.

“Nice laser show. Night highway entertainment,” said an X (former Twitter) user.

“Whose genius idea is it to blind the drivers? Congrats, those who aren’t sleepy are now disoriented,” said a TikTok user.

Those who have been driving for hours or have late night shifts and come across these beams might agree that they can help but what about those with medical issues such as epilepsy or astigmatism?

Epilepsy is a disorder of the brain characterized by repeated seizures; there are multiple triggers but one main trigger is flashing lights or contrasting light and dark patterns. So in this case, if one is epileptic and is not aware of these lights, things could go south very fast.

Astigmatism is a common eye problem that can make one’s vision blurry or distorted; lights at night tend to trigger it more so imagine the simple street lights at night already being quite bothersome and then having to pass these beams. It could become chaotic.

Since being posted, the video has had over 63 million views and 23,00 reposts. With this being said, there has not been more proof of China continuing to test these lasers but the feedback from those who don’t even live there might leave China thinking otherwise.

$0
$500