Go Green Initiatives in Miami

Measures taken by the City to Implement Eco-Friendly Living  
Nowhere is safe from climate change, not even ILS’s beautiful campus.
Ella Baker

“Save Earth today to survive tomorrow!”

— Hajar Said Egla

In terms of environmental sustainability, the city of Miami is always looking for methods to guarantee pollution reduction and generally enhance the standard of living for its citizens while tackling climate change. One instance of the local endeavors and efforts in Miami is the LEED rating system, a globally recognized standard for green construction certification. Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design is referred to as LEED. In Miami, a large number of hotels are constructed in accordance with LEED guidelines. These buildings are certain to be extremely sustainable, utilizing renewable energy instead of fossil fuels, generating less waste, and conserving land. They will also use less water and energy. This city has more LEED-certified buildings than you might imagine. A few illustrations are: The Brickell World Plaza, Miami Design District (first in the world to be certified under LEED v4) and the Phillip and Patricia Frost School of Music.

Additionally, efforts to save energy were undertaken with regard to Miami’s transportation system. By providing a variety of mobility options, including electric scooters and citibike stations, visitors may reduce their carbon footprint and navigate the city without the need for a car. Miami also offers public transportation to both locals and visitors, including the well-liked free trolleys as well as the Metromover, Metrorail, and Metrobus: 

“I love using the trolley to get home; it feels safe and environmentally friendly,” said senior Mariam Osman. 

The Property Assessed Clean Energy Program (PACE) is another noteworthy green effort in Miami. This program allows property owners to borrow money to buy solar panels, wind generators, insulation, or shutters for their houses. Over a period of about 15 years, the owners increase their property taxes to pay back the loan. 

In addition, the City of Miami consistently conducts community outreach to promote sustainable development and increase understanding of the effects of climate change.

Furthermore, residents of Miami are increasingly environmentally conscious.

“My parents and I have always had a strong environmental ethic; we live in a LEED-approved building, and I know a lot of other people who do too,” said sophomore Thalia Sajous. 

$0
$500