Seniors Valentina Gonzalez,Isabella Brand, Antonella Velasquez, Mia Mena, Daniela Quirós, Miranda Dunbar, and Megan Dominguez, taking pictures before prom .
A Night to Remember
Antonella Velasquez, Editor-in-Chief • April 29, 2024
Alumna Ilen Perez-Valdes was recently recognized as a part of the Step Up alumni network.
Step Up Recognizes ILS Students
Mrs. Monica Orelle, Special Contributor • April 25, 2024
ILS Varsity Baseball team has been quite active for the 2024 season.
The ILS Varsity Baseball Team Defeated Dr Krop HS 8-2
Nick Fernandez, Hannah Brewster Sports Editor • April 25, 2024

Highlighting the Women Who Protect Florida

Percita
This picture illustrates the beauty of the shoreline, underscoring the importance of not only protecting but also conserving this valuable, natural resource.

Florida is known for many different places and exciting destinations (such as the happiest place on earth), but who is advocating for the land these places thrive upon? 

DANNI WASHINGTON:

Danni Washington is a Miami native who is very passionate when it comes to caring for the ocean. She always hoped to study the oceans, ever since she was a young child. This has led her down a successful path as a TV host, public speaker, and much more. She is recognized as the first African-American woman to host her science television series. Washington has been a huge advocate in the ocean conservation space. She has been a featured speaker for live events such as March for the Ocean, Ocean Heroes Bootcamp, and many more. In 2008, Danni graduated from the University of Miami Rosenstiel School of Marine & Atmospheric Science with a B.Sc. in Marine Science/Biology. When she was only 21, Danni and her mother founded Big Blue & You, a 501 non-profit organization that strives to educate newer generations on marine conservation. She served for four years as a naturalist at the Marjory Stoneman Douglas Biscayne Nature Center. There she helped teach thousands of South Floridian children about local marine ecosystems. Finally, she co-created a new program called Sea Youth Rise Up which is a collaborative attempt to expand the role of youth leadership in ocean conservation. She can be found on Instagram where she shares her life as an ocean advocate.

Danni Washington discussing the impact SeaTrees Ambassadors has had on her life. (@DanniWashington on Instagram)

MALLORY DIMMITT:

Mallory Dimmitt is a very important member of the Florida Wildlife Corridor team and was named CEO as of August 2021. She has continued to lead the Corridor Coalition as they continue their collaborative campaign to protect and restore the Florida Wildlife Corridor. She received a BS in Natural Resources from the University of the South and was eventually awarded the Doris Duke Conservation Fellowship at Duke University’s Nicholas School of Environmental.

“We look to her unmatched guidance and expertise as we continue to show why the Florida Wildlife Corridor is so vital for the future of Florida,” said Jason Lauritsen, Chief Conservation Officer.

Mallory Dimmitt is widely recognized as a national conservation leader. Her past roles include protecting river corridors across four states in the Colorado Plateau. She has participated in four well-received expeditions through the Florida Wildlife Corridor. Florida is lucky to have her.

Mallory Dimmitt expresses her love for the Florida Wildlife Corridor. (@MalloryDimmitt on Instagram)

CYNTHIA BARNETT:

Cynthia Barnett is an award-winning environmental author and journalist. She is known to report on climate change and its effects. She recently released a book titled The Sound of the Sea: Seashells and the Fate of the Oceans which was named one of the best science books of the year, by NPR’s Science Friday. Barnett is a talented author who specializes in water books. She has written for big corporations such as National Geographic and the New York Times. She earned her bachelor’s degree in journalism and master’s in American history with a specialization in environmental history. She also studied at the University of Michigan, where she specialized in freshwater science and American water history. She is currently the Environmental Journalist in Residence at the University of Florida’s College of Journalism and Communications in Gainesville, where she resides with her husband and children.

Cynthia Barnett expresses her gratitude towards National Geographic for showcasing her chapter on wildlife photography. (@CynthiaBarnett on Instagram )

$0
$500