The Student News Site of Immaculata-La Salle High School

Royal Courier

Royal Courier

Royal Courier

Eco-Friendly Makeup: What You Should Add to Your Collection

Brands+such+as+Makeup+by+Mario%2C+Tarte+Cosmetics%2C+Rare+Beauty+and+Kosas+are+100%25+sustainable+and+affordable.+
Jadilah Fernandez
Brands such as Makeup by Mario, Tarte Cosmetics, Rare Beauty and Kosas are 100% sustainable and affordable.

The phrase “clean beauty” refers to products created with non-toxic, ethically sourced materials. These products don’t include potentially dangerous ingredients like sulfates, parabens, or hazardous chemicals. Clean makeup firms prioritize using natural and organic materials, which keep clear of synthetic compounds that could be harmful to the environment and the skin.

In the world of the dynamic beauty industry, where innovation and eco-friendliness intertwine, a growing movement is reshaping the makeup landscape, transcending the simplicity of palettes and eyeshadows. As consumers support eco-friendly makeup brands, more brands are inclined to implement environmentally friendly practices. From sustainable packaging to cruelty-free formulations, these brands redefine beauty by establishing that one can look good while caring for the planet.

It may be difficult to select environmentally friendly makeup that goes beyond enhancing your features. However, opting for brands fully committed to sustainability and preserving the environment can be beneficial in the long run. Brands like Tarte Cosmetics, Hourglass, Rhode, and Too Faced are cruelty-free. These formulations prioritize the well-being of animals and promote cleaner, chemical-free choices that align with your skin type. Numerous brands embrace factors like minimal packaging to promote a sustainable lifestyle.

“I love the brand Makeup by Mario and the blushes they make. Their products are very light on my skin, and I also enjoy their powders,” said senior Miranda Grande. 

The brand, Makeup by Mario, specifies in their FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions), “We are a Leaping Bunny-certified brand. Additionally, all of our vegan products are PETA-certified.”

Saie Beauty, founded by Laney Crowell, is a clean beauty brand that aims to be completely plastic-free. Some of their sustainability efforts include biodegradable/recyclable mailers, cartons made from recycled paper, and cotton balls for makeup removal. They also use glass, post-consumer recycled plastic, and packaging that can be recycled through Terracycle (a New Jersey-based brand that collects and recycles hard-to-recycle waste).

“I found out about these sustainable brands when I go to Sephora and also on TikTok.”

— Senior Miranda Grande

“I love the brand Saie because the formulas feel very clean on my skin. I don’t like to wear makeup that feels too heavy on my skin,” said senior Mariana Castillo. 

While exploring the Sephora website, the “Clean + Planet Positive” section directs visitors to a page full of endless options for sustainable makeup. Some of the brands Sephora includes in this section are: 

• Caudalie (Skincare) 
  • Glow Recipe (Skincare) 
  • Saie (Makeup) 
  • REN Clean Skincare 
  • SEPHORA COLLECTION (Makeup and Skincare) 

Customers can influence the clean beauty business by selecting goods that put sustainability and ethics first as the movement gains traction. In addition to providing a safer option for skin, clean makeup manufacturers help create a more socially and environmentally conscious beauty industry.

$0
$500