Seniors Valentina Gonzalez,Isabella Brand, Antonella Velasquez, Mia Mena, Daniela Quirós, Miranda Dunbar, and Megan Dominguez pose for pictures before prom begins.
A Night to Remember
Antonella Velasquez, Editor-in-Chief • April 29, 2024
Alumna Ilen Perez-Valdes was recently recognized as a part of the Step Up alumni network.
Step Up Recognizes ILS Students
Mrs. Monica Orelle, Special Contributor • April 25, 2024
ILS Varsity Baseball team has been quite active for the 2024 season.
The ILS Varsity Baseball Team Defeated Dr Krop HS 8-2
Nick Fernandez, Hannah Brewster Sports Editor • April 25, 2024

King Charles III Diagnosed with Cancer

Nation in Shock
Andrew Green
Having only recently ascended to the throne, this image of King Charles shows him being coronated in 2023.

The current king of the United Kingdom, Charles III, while undergoing treatment for prostate enlargement, was diagnosed with cancer at age 75.

The type of cancer has yet to be disclosed at this time. While he has begun treatments, some of his public appearances and duties will be justifiably postponed. However, he will continue performing his duties as the head of state. This includes regular paperwork and private meetings. Such meetings are comprised of weekly meet-ups with Mr. Rishi Sunak, the English Prime Minister.  While speaking to the House of Commons, the legislative body in the English government, Prime Minister Sunak said, “We wish His Majesty a speedy recovery and look forward to him resuming his public-facing duties in due course.”

The King’s son, the controversial Duke Of Sussex has spoken with his father and will be returning to England from the United States to visit him again. His older son, Prince William of Wales, who is next in the line of royal succession, is said to be in regular contact with his father.

Cancer is a very serious issue for millions of people around the world. Here at Immaculata-La Salle High School, many students deal with this illness in one way or the other, whether it be through a connection or a personal perspective.

King Charles III has been a proponent of alternative treatments for cancer. For example, he believes in homeopathy, which is the treatment of a disease by minute doses of natural substances that would produce symptoms of illness in a healthy person.

“It’s something different from the standard care for cancer,” explained the oncologist father of junior Miguel Suarez-Cabal when asked about the subject.

“I am someone who practices Western medicine, which is the medicine we execute in the United States where things have to be proven through clinical trials. I don’t know much about alternative medicine, but I respect it. These medicines are herbs, remedies, and things like that, and if people stay up to date with them, etc, I hope one day maybe they could become more standardized. But these medicines can give people false hope, and they pay a lot of money for things that may not be great. That to me is very sad,” added Dr. Suarez.

A survivor of thyroid cancer, senior Maria Cadenas expresses her condolences.

“I hope he gets better,” she said. “Cancer stinks. The journey to healing is very hard, but worth it.”

Having cancer is extremely serious, but being the monarch of a country adds another layer of concern and distress for many. The nation and the world anxiously awaits the development of King Charles’ situation.

$0
$500